Creator: Julia Child
Julia Child (1912-2004) was an American chef and author or co-author of a number of cookbooks. She became a celebrity in the 1960s and beyond, and is the subject of many an Affectionate Parody. Episodes of the French Chef are available on YouTube. Just as a warning, American chefs and cooking professionals hold Julia Child to a level of respect and admiration that borders on religious. It is better for you to badmouth Fred Rogers on 4Chan than it is to badmouth Julia Child around a chef, especially if you are badmouthing her in his restaurant.Works associated with Julia Child include:
- Julie & Julia : A combination fantasy and biopic aligning Child's experiences in Europe while she attended the Cordon Bleu school and co-authored her first cookbook, and author Julie Powell's attempt to cook all 524 recipes in the book in one year. Child is played by Meryl Streep.
- Brawn Hilda : Child stood 6'2" and played many sports in her youth. Her height and masculine appearance caused some Vocal Dissonance , as she had a kind of burbly voice.
- Food Porn : Watch any of her shows and you'll be hungry.
- Ivy League: She attended Smith College.
- Nutritional Nightmare : Many of the recipes are deep fried in full-fat butter. Later editions tried to cut some of the fat from the recipes, to little success.
- Something About a Rose : The Julia Child Rose was named for Child.
- Supreme Chef : Child brought French cooking to Americans, but she was highly skilled.
- Trope Codifier : For the Cooking Show.