John Cho (born June 16, 1972) is a Korean-born American actor, known for his roles in the American Pie films, the Harold and Kumar series, as Demetri in FlashForward (2009), and as Sulu in the latest incarnation of Star Trek. He also starred in Selfie, a modern remake of My Fair Lady, opposite Karen Gillan on ABC.
This actor provides examples of
- Brutal Honesty: Has taken a few jabs at Star Trek Into Darkness for its Race Lift of Khan Noonien Singh.
- Hidden Depths: Broke through in comedy films, but also capable of quite serious reflections on his family's history in Korea (0:28:00) and dissecting Asian stereotypes on film and TV.
- I Am Not Spock: After American Pie, fans would apparently shout "MILF!" at him. After Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle, it was "Harold!" Cho has remarked in interviews that going from a catch phrase to an actual name was a sign of progress.
- Identical-Looking Asians: Got hit with this hard when the Green Hornet remake came out in early 2011. Despite the fact that Kato was played by Taiwanese pop star Jay Chou, who is years younger and speaks English with a heavy accent, many reviewers remarked on how great "John Cho" was. Even IMDB screwed this up at one point, as well as many reviews citing IMDB. The confusion might also have had something to do with their similar-sounding names. Cho joked about this incident on Twitter, saying "I am beginning to suspect that I am not in the Green Hornet movie."
- Older Than They Look: Looks about ten years younger than his actual age.