Jenna Coleman (known before summer 2013 as Jenna-Louise Coleman) is a British actress, born in Blackpool
in 1986. She is best known for playing companion Clara on Doctor Who
alongside Matt Smith
's Eleventh Doctor, making her first appearance in the 2012 Christmas Episode
. She actually first appeared in the series 7 opener "Asylum of the Daleks" as a character named Oswin Oswald, in the most successfully guarded secret in series history.
Some of her other roles include Jasmine Thomas in Emmerdale
, Lindsay James in Waterloo Road
, Connie (one of Steve and Bucky's dates at the fair) in Captain America: The First Avenger
, and the voice of Melia in the English dub of Xenoblade
Coleman played Annie Desmond in the 2012 miniseries Titanic
, one of many productions dedicated to the 100th anniversary of the sinking of the Titanic
. In 2013, she enjoyed her first full year as a Doctor Who
companion and appeared in Dancing on the Edge
, a series about a black jazz band in the 1930s.
Tropes associated with this actor include:
- The Klutz: In an interview for Who she mentioned that her "running down corridors and falling over and tripping over props" was a "daily occurrence." Given that she's working alongside Matt Smith, fans have already begun sending their prayers to the Doctor Who prop department.
- Motor Mouth: Rumor has it that one of the reasons she won the part is that she can talk even faster than Matt Smith.
- One of Us: In a video interview with Entertainment Weekly, Coleman confessed to travelling down the sliding scale of "newbie to nerd" towards the nerd end with regards to knowledge of Doctor Who, having "the classic series on order". In a video interview with TV Guide, she mentions loving Breaking Bad and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, adorkably bopping along to the theme song.
- Oop North: She's from Blackpool. So is Clara.
- Pintsized Powerhouse: She is only about five feet tall, making her nearly a whole foot shorter than Karen Gillan.
- Playing Against Type: Subverted. While Clara Oswald, her most popular role so far, is a sweet, kind-hearted young lady with an adventurous spirit, at least half of Jenna's other roles to date could be described as antiheroines at best, some of them deeply flawed. There's a roughly fifty-to-fifty ratio between positive and morally ambiguous characters she's portrayed, at least on television.
- What Could Have Been: Before getting the part of Clara, she had previously auditioned to play "a friend of Amy Pond". Could this have been Mels ?