Jason David Frank is an American actor/martial artist, whose claim to fame is portraying the original Green Ranger
of the famed Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
In addition to being an actor, Jason owns his own karate schools and started a career in Mixed Martial Arts
He also holds the Guinness World Record
for breaking the most pine boards in a freefall.Notable works he has appeared in:
Tropes Associated with Jason David Frank:
- Alliterative Name: His nickname, Fearless Frank.
- The Cast Showoff: Tommy had a lot of sparring scenes in the early Power Rangers episodes.
- Cast the Expert: Even Jason himself will tell you that he's a martial artist first and an actor second.
- Dawson Casting: Frank was 20 when he first started playing Tommy on Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Not much of a stretch considering the original story had the characters as seniors, but Jason was going on 24 when his character finally graduated.
- Do Not Taunt Cthulhu: His MMA opponents have a habit of claiming to be the one that will beat the Green Ranger. Jason's record is still undefeated.
- I Am Not Leonard Nimoy: Jason full-on embraces this trope. He'll always be known as the original Green Ranger, occasionally White or Red, and he's completely fine with that. Take one look at his Facebook and you'd think it was a fan page for the character, not the actor.
- Kung-Fu Jesus: Invoked, not for himself, but for his Christian and martial arts themed clothing line, "Jesus Didn't Tap".
- Large Ham
- Long-Runner Cast Turnover: Jason was main the reason that this happened during Power Rangers Turbo. He wanted out, so they sent everyone else, but Blake Foster with him. note
- No Stunt Double: According to his Power Rangers Dino Thunder cast mates: there are the stunt doubles and there is Jason Frank. He also begged to do a rapids stunt in the Power Rangers Turbo movie to the stunt double's approval. note
- Stunt Double: After the rapids stunt, he became less eager to do his own high risk stuff, and during his last episode of Power Rangers Turbo, Tommy becomes magically Asian during wide shots of a car explosion.
- Talent Double: JDF has specifically called out his snowboarding double from Power Rangers Zeo, who Jason himself picked, because the double was worse than he was.
- The Prankster: Just ask any of his cast mates.
- Real-Life Relative: Jason's son, Jacob was cast in a season two episode of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Two seasons afterward his late-brother Eric played David, Tommy's brother, in Power Rangers Zeo.
- Same Character, But Different: The Black Ranger in Power Rangers Dino Thunder was originally called Dr. Edward Payne, just in case they couldn't get Jason back. Not much was actually changed between the switch from Payne to Tommy, which caused some discrepancies.
- So My Kids Can Watch: The main reason Jason returned for Power Rangers Dino Thunder was because of his daughter (Apparently he also did it because of ratings issues, at least according to History of Power Rangers).
- Suddenly Ethnicity: After he became Suddenly Native American on Power Rangers, and the fact that he actually looks it, Jason pulls off Suddenly Not Native American in real life.
- What Could Have Been: Jason was originally slated to star in VR Troopers, then titled Cybertron, before popularity brought him back to Power Rangers.
- Written-In Absence: Both times Tommy lost his powers on Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Jason Frank more or less just written out of the show until he was written back in. note Then on Power Rangers Dino Thunder, Jason had more time off than his cast mates (to work at his karate school), so his character became stuck in his Ranger suit.