Born James Duncan Rolfe. A film buff from New Jersey (now supposedly living in Philly) with directing aspirations, Rolfe remained mostly under the radar until 2006, when he posted a couple of joke reviews he made for his friends a couple years earlier on Youtube
, under the name "The Angry Nintendo Nerd". A few years of booming popularity later, he eventually evolved into The Angry Video Game Nerd
Aside from making Nerd videos, he also has a large number of films (he's been making them since 1989) registered on his website, Cinemassacre.com
. In addition to the Nerd character, he has two other shows: Board James
and You Know Whats Bullshit
. He also established a new improv series with a few friends of his called OverAnalyzers.
He also often posts videos to the site with him acting as himself, either performing interviews, documentaries, or movie reviews, most notable of which is Cinemassacre's Monster Madness, an event that he has taken part in every October since 2007 where he reviews one horror film every day of the month, whether it be an old classic or an obscure treasure, usually in keeping with some sort of theme (So Bad, It's Good
films one year, the entire Godzilla
With work on The Movie
necessitating a reduction in the frequency of Nerd episodes, Rolfe decided to compensate by launching James and Mike Mondays
in December 2012. This is a weekly series in a Let's Play
format, where Rolfe and Mike Matei play games that in most cases might not be featured in a Nerd review — whether it's a classic, an obscure game, a romhack, or the occasional game that's already been reviewed.
He is affiliates with both ScrewAttack
and That Guy with the Glasses
(despite, or perhaps due to, the Nerd's eternal conflict with The Nostalgia Critic
Rolfe's movie reviews:
open/close all folders
- Spider-Man 3
- Transformers: The Movie
- Live Free or Die Hard
- The Simpsons Movie
- Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
- Rambo IV
- Rocky (All six movies)
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- Bat-A-Thon with The Batman 15 part serial, Batman and Robin 15 Part serial, Batman: The Movie, Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Batman Begins, and The Dark Knight.
- Gremlins (1 & 2)
- Ed Wood-A-Thon with Glen or Glenda?, Bride of the Monster, Plan 9 from Outer Space, Night of the Ghouls, Orgy Of The Dead, and Tim Burton's biopic.
- The Shining
- My Name Is Bruce
- Maximum Overdrive
- Return to Oz
- Santa Claus
- Alien Invader movies with The Day the Earth Stood Still (the original and the remake) The Thing from Another World, The Thing (1982), Earth Vs The Flying Saucers, Mars Attacks!, Independence Day, The War Of The Worlds (the original, and three versions released in 2005), Invaders from Mars (the original and the remake), Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the original, the 1978 remake, the 1993 remake, and the 2007 remake), The Blob (the original and the remake) and Son of Blob.
- Friday the 13th (2009) (Reboot)
- Star Wars (All six movies)
- King Kung Fu
- The "Trek Trilogy" (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home).
- Star Trek (2009 reboot)
- The Terminator movies: The Terminator, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines and Terminator Salvation.
- The Back to the Future Trilogy
- Black Christmas (1974)
- Alice in Wonderland (The Disney version and a Made-For-TV movie from 1985)
- The Wolfman (2010)
- The Deathstalker (All four movies)
- Game of Death
- The Karate Kid Trilogy
- Groundhog Day
- Pee-wee's Big Adventure
- Who Framed Roger Rabbit
- We Wish You a Turtle Christmas
- Kill Bill
Cinemassacre's Monster Madness (by year):
2007 History of Horror
2009 Monster Madness 3
2010 Camp Cult
2013 Sequel-A-Thon 2
2014 Monster Madness 8
Identified as "Whatever-The-Hell-You-Want-To-Call-It-A-Thon" in the promo trailer.
Rolfe's own films, Top 10's, documentaries, and other videos:
Tropes applying to Rolfe himself
- Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking: In his top 10 shitty Shatner movies, he ended the list with Incubus at #1, and talked about how the film was lost until it turned up with France, and ended with this dark sentence...
"There was a lot of bad luck associated with Incubus and came with the reputation as one of those films with a curse. [Milos Milos] killed his girlfriend and committed suicide. [Ann Atmar] has also committed suicide a few weeks after the film wrapped. [Eloise Hardt's daughter] was kidnapped and murdered. Director Leslie Steven's production company went bankrupt, and his marriage ended in divorce. And William Shatner ended up being in a lot of shitty films."
- Author Appeal: Horror movies, especially monster movies.
- References to shit. Sorry, that was meant to be, references to SHIT!
- Badass Boast: From the "Contra Memories" video: "I beat Contra before breakfast."
- Cloud Cuckoolander: Judging by the content of his films.
"DAMN! Well, I'm not thinking of Frankenstein. Are you?"
- Corpsing: Seven words - "Live like a windrammer as you fuck."
- Anyone watching the episodes of AVGN with Lloyd and the Guitar Guy with keen ears and eyes can notice James losing his composure with some of the things they say.
- And of course, the one part in his review of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III where he stressed that the "Help I'm a turtle and I can't get up" gag is not funny, but burst out laughing anyway.
- Deadpan Snarker
- Engrish: He gets an email filled to the brim with this in Mailbag #3, which introduces the "Live like a windrammer as you fuck" quote.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: After his Top 1 Shark Movies, which is basically him praising Jaws and being unable to come up with any other good shark films, he would go crazy over the collection of terrible shark movies he has, leading to the Top 40 Shitty Shark Movies!
*crazy laugh* shark movies. Shark movies!
- Gorn: He's known for making really gory short horror movies like The Deader The Better.
- Gratuitous Rape: James criticized both Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (the producers cut), and Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed for including these in it. His reasoning is as follows:
- Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers, involves Michael forcibly raping his niece and impregnating her. Not only does it seem so wrong on so many levels, but it's entirely unnecessary. Michael is out to kill his remaining family. Now he's reproducing to make more family to kill? This is one of the main reasons why James blasted the producers cut, despite it being the popular choice over the theatrical cut. He considers the latter to be more entertaining, whereas the former is just too messed up to justify its existence.
- Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed was a case of Executive Meddling. Frankenstein, played by Peter Cushing, decided to rape the beautiful inn keeper spontaneously. This had no place in the film at all other than make Frankenstein out to be more of a horrible human being, which this and previous films already did a great job of doing already. The meddling part came from the producers wanting the rape scene added in just for sex appeal, despite protests from Peter Cushing and Terrance Fisher, and the scene being no where at all in the original script. James says it best:
"It's not sexy, it's disturbing!"
- Happily Married
- Jump Scare: At the end of this video, after talking about how scary the illustrations from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark are, he suddenly shows one of them, amplified so that it covers the whole screen, with a Scare Chord to top.
- Let's Play: Sort of. He does the James and Mike Mondays series, with his best friend: Mike Matei.
- Lip Lock: Referenced in the "James and Mike Mondays" of Sonic the Hedgehog (2006): A shop owner says "hi" and continues to move his mouth and hands despite not speaking another word. James thinks it's odd that occurs, and Mike says it's like those Godzilla movies where the dubbing and the original mouth movements are off. James defends the Godzilla movies by saying they were nowhere near as ridiculous as this.
- Mean Character Nice Actor: He doesn't walk around shouting obscenities and screaming at the top of his lungs like The Angry Video Game Nerd does, and often makes it clear that the Nerd is simply a character he plays.
- Metal Head: He is a huge fan of heavy metal occasionally name checking them in a video. He especially seems to like AC/DC. In Mailbag #3 he is wearing a Led Zeppelin hat and in the You Know What's Bullshit episode on iTunes, his music library consists mostly of hard rock and heavy metal bands
- Negated Moment of Awesome: During the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde Team Showdown video, one of the players ducks rather than jump/run away in order to avoid bomb damage. The first time this works, but after that, it doesn't. So much for an easy strategy...
- Nerd Glasses: Possibly the king of this trope.
- Nice Guy
- One of Us: Obviously, since he IS AVGN.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Parodied. As the Bullshit man, he mentioned that people complained about having to say "Happy Holidays" out of respect for other beliefs when they insist on saying "Merry Christmas." So he coined a new term called HAPPY SHUT THE FUCK UP! and has proceeded to use this in some of his Christmas specials, including the AVGN Winter Games, and even as himself at the end of his TMNT Christmas review.
- Self-Deprecation: In the video where Inspector Gadget explains how to use Cinemassacre:
Gadget: I wonder when the fuck there will be a new Board James!
- Spit Take: He does an absolutely epic one when he realises that the IndieGoGo donations for the movie have just hit 100k. He even does it in slow-motion, no less!
- Stop Motion: James is a big fan of this practice.
- Tempting Fate: In his Top 1 Shark Movies, he said that there were some good ones. The only movie he can think of is Jaws, which he pretty much talks about for almost the entire video. See Go Mad from the Revelation above for more.
- The Cameo: He appeared in different commercials (one of the earliest being a Budwiser commercial), other online shows, and even independent works (like the Sonic fan film).
- At one point he even assists in special effects works with other works, like blood work and all.
- Vulgar Humor / Toilet Humor: He's known for doing this in AVGN. Such as the Nerd defecating on the games. (And Bugs Bunny.)
- Also the characteristic of the Bullshit Man, Shit Pickle, and the Nerdy Turd.
- What Could Have Been: James intended the Angry Nintendo Nerd to be a trilogy series of videos he only made for his friends. Then youtube entered his life!
- James apparently intended the Angry Video Game Nerd to have a spin off series called the Angry Movie Nerd, where he would cover bad movies, beginning with the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III. Despite being one of his most memorable videos, ranting about movie sequels in an earlier episode, and even implying to talk about the Friday the 13th movies in the game review, this spin off never kicked off.
- Although, he did eventually signed on with Spike.Com to do movie reviews, as himself.
- For more AVGN specific entries, check out its trivia page.
- Who's on First?: Utilized in the "What's the Movie?" video.