James Marsters is an actor/singer most famous for playing the Ensemble Darkhorse vampire Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel. His other most famous roles are as Milton Fine (Brainiac) in Smallville and Captain John Hart in Torchwood. He appeared on Caprica as terrorist leader Barnabas Greeley, appeared on Warehouse 13 as the Count of St. Germain, and also portrays Piccolo in Dragonball Evolution. He also has provided the audio performances of all of Jim Butcher's Dresden books (except Ghost Story) to date.He is married to Patricia Rahman, which caused a few eyebrows to raise due to the large age gap (23 years) between them, and the fact that Marsters had attended her high school graduation (they started dating when she was 17-18 and he was 42).
Tropes associated with this actor include:
- Fake Brit: His most well-regarded roles are usually this, despite the fact that Marsters is American. Supposedly casting agents in Britain still mistake him for the genuine article. Doesn't help that his full name is James Wesley Marsters, or that he bears a good resemblance to Sid Vicious.
- Handsome Lech: Many fans who have met him in person talked about his habit of hitting on younger women. He would later start dating his wife while she was still in high school and he was in his early 40s.
- Older Than They Look: Born 1962. No kidding. Check his Wikipedia. Appearing to be in his late 20s or early-to-mid 30s, he definitely doesn't look like he's in his fifties.
- One of Us: Attended Star Trek fan conventions when he was younger.
- Promoted Fanboy: In Dragonball Evolution.