You shall not pass!Sir Ian Murray McKellen
—Gandalf the Grey
(born May 25, 1939) is a Shakespearean actor
, widely known for his roles as Gandalf in the Lord of the Rings
trilogy and The Hobbit
Magneto in X-Men
(get over it◊
), as well as the title character in his 1995 Setting Update
adaptation of Shakespeare's Richard III
. He also lent his voice to a certain polar bear
, and the Great Intelligence in the 2012 Doctor Who Christmas Special
. He starred with Derek Jacobi
in a series called Vicious
, a gay Dom Com
about a long-partnered male couple
He's also openly gay and an ardent supporter of gay rights (averting Nobody Over 50 Is Gay
), advocating it to the exclusion of other causes. Indeed, when the Conservative and pro-Section 28
Local Government Minister Michael Howard asked for an autograph from McKellen in 1988, McKellen instead wrote, "Fuck off, I'm gay
He's also authorized to perform marriages, as he officiated the September 2013 wedding of his friend Patrick Stewart
to Sunny Ozell.
- Actor Allusion: His appearance on Have I Got News for You had constant references to his role in The Lord of the Rings.
- Cannot Spit It Out / Twice Shy: Closest trope to his relationship with Derek Jacobi while both were at Cambridge: by his own admission, he had a crush on Jacobi (who was in his class) that was "unexpressed and unrequited". Jacobi later said that he himself had a crush on McKellen.
- Cool Old Guy: Only someone as cool as Ian McKellen could pull off roles like Gandalf and Magneto. Also, he's One of Us.
- Enforced Method Acting: He hosted Saturday Night Live, and in one sketch played Dame Maggie Smith, being interviewed on Weekend Update. At one point he asked Jimmy Fallon, "Kiss for luck?" Fallon leaned over, clearly expecting a peck on the cheek. Ian grabbed him and gave him an open-mouthed smooch right on the lips, leaving Fallon visibly stunned. It was hilarious.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners: With Patrick Stewart. No doubt this helped them sell the "friendly" part of the Friendly Enemy relationship of Professor X and Magneto.
- Is This Thing Still On?: During the filming of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, he had to spend hours in a box with nothing but a microphone and pictures of the dwarves for company (the footage would be edited in to make him look taller than the dwarves), and was so upset by this that he exclaimed "This is not why I became an actor!" The microphone was still on and everyone on set heard him as a result.
- Knight Fever: He prefers not to be called Sir Ian in person "because I donít like being separated out from the rest of the population". Except when hanging with Patrick Stewart, when they call each other Sir Ian and Sir Patrick.
- Large Ham: Just check him giving instructions on changing a flat tire.
- One of Us: This little gem.
- Meta Casting: In Gods And Monsters, he played James Whale, the director of Frankenstein and Bride of Frankenstein, who was homosexual.
- Stupid Sexy Flanders: Though he apparently grew quite enamoured with Cate Blanchett on the set of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.
- Those Two Guys: With Sylvester McCoy. They first worked togethered in King Lear and then in The Hobbit.