Hideki Kamiya is a Japanese game designer best known for his incredibly blunt, sometimes irritable nature and his critically acclaimed action games, which tend to cram together ludicrous amounts of stylistic insanity and razor sharp action gameplay. Formerly of Clover Studios, a subdivision of Capcom until it was shut down, he now works with other former Clover staff at PlatinumGames.He is also well known for practising his English language skills on his Twitter account, which is to say, that's where he trolls his fans mercilessly (and berates and blocks people for asking stupid or repetitive questions).
Games by Kamiya:As Director:
- Scalebound (cancelled)
- The Wonderful 101 (2013)
- Bayonetta (2009)
- Ōkami (2006)
- Viewtiful Joe (2003)
- Devil May Cry (2001)
- Resident Evil 2 (1998)
- Bayonetta 2 (2014) - Supervisor and Writer
- Viewtiful Joe 2 (2004) - Writer
- Gyakuten Saiban 3 (2004) - Voice actor for Godot; Japanese version only.
- Resident Evil 0 (2002) - Original designernote
- Resident Evil (1996) - Planner
Tropes that apply to Hideki Kamiya:
- Ascended Meme: Wonder Director, a character based on (and voiced by) Kamiya in The Wonderful 101 actually says "Ask your mom" as one of his quotes. Bayonetta also says it in Bayonetta 2, and in her reveal video in Super Smash Bros..
- Astral Finale: Most of his games have Grand Finale set in space.
- Author Appeal:
- Space Harrier is one of his favorite games. Bayonetta and The Wonderful 101 had stages emulating the game.
- The first phase of the Mundus fight in the original Devil May Cry is also a rail shooter-esque stage.
- Scalebound was made purely due to Kamiya's love of dragons. In fact, he had been wanting to make the game since before Bayonetta was in development.
- Badass Boast: People on Twitter will often ask him why he is so awesome. His response:"Lions don't learn how to hunt."
"And...I took time off for my mental health? ...Me!? No way."
- Following rumors that he took time off for mental health reasons due to problems with Scalebound's development, he said this.
- Bald of Awesome: Has this reputation online.
- Berserk Button:
- Do not ask him repeated questions. Also, do not ask him about the Devil May Cry games other than the first one,note Bayonetta 2,note or Kill la Kill.note Don't trash Capcom either, as he still respects it as his old home.
- He has been posting very disapprovingly of Death Battle. According to Word of God, Kamiya despises the idea of Dante and Bayonetta fighting each other, and would much rather they team up instead. This can be supported with several statements on Twitter, such as his desire to create a game where they meet. Granted, he did approve of the show when it was revealed the two would be fighting, but persistent fans continued to annoy him and caused him to turn his stance around the thought of seeing his creations fight.
- Brutal Honesty:
- He's not afraid to call out people who ask him dumb questions.
- A Kotaku writer asked him if he read a particularly controversial Kotaku article about him and his stance on PC gaming. His response: "Do you eat shit?"
- studio executives tampering with his games and franchises without asking. Some choice red button topics include the box art of Bayonetta 2, Microsoft's marketing of Scalebound, the Wii port of Ōkami, and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.note On the other hand, he is relatively at peace with his lack of involvement in the later Devil May Cry games, going as far as to claim that he is only the creator of the first game specifically, rather than the series as a whole. He also approved of Viewtiful Joe: Double Trouble for the DS and the series's anime adaptation. He is very outspoken about his dislike of
- He really hates the Wii U Virtual Console's inability to turn off anti-aliasing.
- But for Me, It Was Tuesday:"Ah, excuse me tiny insects, but u don't have to tell me that u blocked me. Might be a great historical event for u but for me it's nothing."
- Caps Lock: Occasionally posts tweets in caps only.
- Catch Phrase:
Repeat for idiots : AS I'VE TOLD YOU 10000000000000000000 TIMES I'M NOT A DIRECTOR OF BAYO2 SO ASK HASHIMOTO OR I'M GONNA FUCKIN' BLOCK YOU.
- "Ask your mom."
- He has a fondness for "cute babes."
- He often responds to "When will we see..." questions with "Next week... in gaming magazines/Nintendo Direct."
- Since nearly all of Platinum's games are published and owned by an outside company, every time someone asks him to port one of his games to another console, he replies, "Ask [company name]." This also happens when people ask him to make a new Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, or Ōkami game, as those IPs are owned by Capcom. You'll know he's messing with them if they ask him to port a game exclusive to one console to a competing console.
- Several "...or else I'll block you" tweets are often prefixed with "As I've said 10000000000000000000 times...":
REPEAT: As I've told u 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times, have ur fucking conversation or argument elsewhere or I'll block u.
Repeat: As I've said 10000000000000000000 times, I never need any advice. I do what I wanna do. I am me. U are u. Advicing idiots-> Blocked.
- Depending on his mood, he'll at least be nice enough to ask for permission first. "May I block you?"
- "Enough of [x]", [x] being whatever video game/anime Twitter is trying to get him to watch. Usually mixed with "something" to show contempt toward whatever it was and annoy the fanboys.
- "To all X idiots: (beat) I LOVE YOU!" when fans of X game harass him on Twitter and Kamiya call them idiots, but they eventually allow him to make a dream come true (like PlatinumGames finally making a StarFox game or Bayonetta's inclusion in Super Smash Bros.).
- Challenge Gamer: Many of his favorite video games are Nintendo Hard arcade games, such as the original Gradius and Space Harrier. He's pretty damn good at them, too.
- Creator Cameo: He appears in The Wonderful 101 as Wonder Director. He also voiced Six Machine in Viewtiful Joe and Onigiri in Ōkami.note
- Deadpan Snarker: He's known for his blunt sarcasm in Twitter.
- Foreign-Language Tirade: The last thing you'll see from his account if he decides to block you for being annoying or an asshole.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: It doesn't take much for him to angrily tell people off, though he's generally civilized otherwise.
- Hype Backlash: Invoked. He's been permanently turned off of Kill la Kill due to hordes of gamers requesting that he make a game based on it. Apparently, the rest of Platinum Games' staff also feels the same way with the apparent exception of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance director Kenji Saito.
- Hypocritical Humor: He swears on Twitter, yet when people send him tweets with the word "fuck", he'll sometimes tell them, "Don't use F-word, it's rude."
- Insistent Terminology: Refer to the Recurring Boss of Devil May Cry as "Nelo Angelo" and he will respond with, "Nero is correct."note
- Insufferable Genius: He's a talented game designer for sure, but his short temper on his Twitter posts kind of makes him look like a dick.
- Insult Backfire:Fan: Many reviews are giving W101 a low score because its "too hard". How does this make you feel?
- Jerkass Has a Point: While he may not be nice about how he phrases his opinions, he usually is justified in the positions he takes. Also, more often than not he only blocks and/or calls out people who provoke him first or break the rules that he has clearly established (e.g. check his twilog to avoid asking a repeat question, don't ask him about games he didn't work on, etc.). That said, most people tend to respond to minor slights on Twitter by ignoring them, not blowing the hell up and blocking the offender.
- Mathematician's Answer:
- Don't expect Kamiya to elaborate or be specific if you ask him something. This is understandable since he's most probably constantly busy with a project, and has more than enough tweets to respond to.
- When asked, "Do you have a favourite [x]", he often answers with, "A lot."
- When asked why his answers tend to be so short, his response was, "Can you say some long sentence in Japanese?"note
- Overly Long Gag: Has been known to link to his other tweets if he gets questions he's been asked already. Often these linked tweets will contain more linked tweets, eventually culminating in an answer if you follow the link trail long enough.
- Recurring Boss: Another favorite of his. Includes every boss in Devil May Cry save Mundus, Orochi and Waka in Ōkami, Jeanne in Bayonetta, and Prince Vorkken in The Wonderful 101.
- Refuge in Audacity: His entire Twitter persona lives off this.
- Running Gag:
- When asked about information while he's under a non-disclosure agreement that prevents him from answering:
- After Scalebound was announced, Kamiya revived the above gag with a new variation.
- Pretending he's never heard of the Sega Dreamcast on purpose, sometimes even acting as though he doesn't know what Sega itself is.note "Dream... what? What... cast?"
- Spiritual Successor: Bayonetta is this to Devil May Cry, as Kamiya wished to revisit the style of gameplay that made him famous in order to show how he had evolved as a director. The Wonderful 101 is sometimes thought by fans to be one for Viewtiful Joe, but Kamiya has denied this, as the similarities are largely aesthetic only.
- Unexpected Shmup Level: Yet another personal touch of his.