"If you covered him with garbage / George Sanders would still have style."A Russian-born British actor, George Sanders (1906–1972) portrayed the archetypal dastardly cad throughout the 1940s and '50s, winning an Oscar for his portrayal of the Caustic Critic Addison De Witt in All About Eve. He is probably most familiar to younger audiences as the voice of Shere Khan in Disney's The Jungle Book. He also has the honor of playing the first live-action incarnation of Mr. Freeze in the Adam West Batman, and is arguably the most memorable of the three actors to take the role in the show.In his personal life, Sanders was an insecure, artistic man who disguised his true self through a cynically witty persona that he often performed in his films. He was married several times, notably to Zsa Zsa Gabor. He committed suicide at the age of 65, supposedly due to boredom.He was the younger brother of actor Tom Conway, best-known for his appearances in Cat People and other Val Lewton movies. Their voices were extraordinarily similar. The brothers appeared in two films together, Death of a Scoundrel and The Falcon's Brother.Sanders wrote a rare but hilariously witty book, Memoirs of a Professional Cad.
— The Kinks, "Celluloid Heroes"
His films include:
- Rebecca (1940)
- Foreign Correspondent (1940)
- The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
- The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)
- All About Eve (1950)
- Village of the Damned (1960)
- The Rebel (1961)
- A Shot in the Dark (1964)
- The Jungle Book (1967)
- Affably Evil: He was best known for playing this kind of role
- Badass Baritone: As proved in Call Me Madam, as well as his own album The George Sanders Touch.
- The Comically Serious: In most of his roles in comic films.
- Evil Brit: In most of his film appearances.
- Gentleman Snarker: Another iconic trait of his characters
- Goodbye, Cruel World!: All three of his suicide notes read:Dear World, I am leaving because I am bored. I feel I have lived long enough. I am leaving you with your worries in this sweet cesspool. Good luck. [signed]
- Hidden Depths: An excellent singer, dancer, pianist and balalaika player (he could play it behind his head).
- Jerkass Façade: Adopted one to avoid showing his true insecurities.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: According to his close friends and family.
- Money, Dear Boy: Supposedly the only reason he acted.