One of the few well known female comic book writers in existence
. Simone has written multiple books, mostly for DC Comics
(including Birds Of Prey
, The All-New Atom
, and Wonder Woman
), though she also had a famous run on Marvel's Deadpool
. She is the one charged with coining the infamous term Women in Refrigerators
, and has an entire website dedicated to such instances.
Gail is known for being unfailingly polite and friendly to her fellow creators (going as far as to say Amazons Attack
has good points and defending the artwork of Rob Liefeld
when they did a Teen Titans
arc together), and interacting a lot with the Internet fandom. She visits and debates with members of scans_daily, has founded the Wonder Woman section on the CBR boards and hangs around Comic Bloc as well. She used to be found on the You'll All Be Sorry!
forum on Comic Book Resources, named for a satiric column on comics she used to write before working for mainstream comics. Now she has a board on Brian Michael Bendis
' Jinxworld Forums
In 2010, she finished Secret Six
and concluded a second run on Birds Of Prey
, which she started writing after her years on Wonder Woman
. Most recently, she finished up a year long run on the New 52 Batgirl
and a somewhat shorter run co-writing The Fury of Firestorm
with Ethan Van Sciver
. She has announced that she is starting work on two new series: The Movement
for DC, and, as she is no longer DC exclusive, Red Sonja
for Dynamite Entertainment.
Comics written by her:
Gail embodies these tropes:
- Promoted Fangirl: Gail started off as a fan of comics who made a site, before getting a job writing Simpsons comics Then Marvel hired her to write the last storyline for the Deadpool comic and the opening arc of Agent X, before jumping ship to DC and writing many of their comics. Now she's one of their biggest name writers, and probably the main reason for the current Batgirl series to sell so well despite some critical backlash.
- Cloudcuckoolander: It happens, especially on her Twitter.
- Deadpan Snarker: See most of her comments on the internet, as well as her writing.
- Fiery Redhead
- Most Writers Are Male: Initially, she was the only woman working on the 2011 DC reboot (out of 52 creative teams). The second wave added three more: one writer and two artists.
- The Knights Who Say Squee: To some extent, with Bryan Q Miller: Both are big fans of each other; Birds Of Prey was a title Miller was clearly a fan of and followed a lot (including working in plot points of the series into his own) while Miller's writing as what completely flipped Simone's opinion on Stephanie Brown, and now the two are reportedly good friends.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: with Dan Slott.
- What Could Have Been: Twice she's had a pitch which would have pleased a large number of fans. Firstly, she wanted to bring Cassandra Cain into Birds Of Prey with a story that would transform her into a Christian, citing the fact that while an atheist herself she feels religion is misrepresented in comics. Secondly, she pitched a new book for the D Cn U which involved Stephanie Brown and a handful of other missing female characters and form a team and would be co-written by Bryan Q Miller. Both were unable to come to pass due to some issues involving both Cass and Steph.