Fryda Maria Wolff (born May 25, 1982) is an American voice actress and sound design artist, currently most well-known as Sara Ryder in Mass Effect: Andromeda. She initially got her start in 2003 while working as a game master for Sony Online Entertainment; her boss knew of her interest in voice acting and asked her to provide the voice for the player character in the long-running massively multiplayer online first-person shooter PlanetSide. In the end, though, Fryda's performance was replaced by Wendee Lee, though Wolff was still listed in the credits.Somewhat disillusioned by her first experience, Wolff transitioned into game development, working as a sound designer for Sony Online Entertainment (EverQuest II), Obsidian (Neverwinter Nights 2), and Bethesda Software (Fallout: New Vegas) among others. In 2012 she decided to give voice acting another shot, getting a minor role in Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, then narrating Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth and its Rising Tide expansion. Some of her other game roles include the vampire Mira in the new Killer Instinct and Lorraine in The Secret World & its side story game The Park.She's also worked steadily in animation since her return to games, voicing Poison Ivy in the DC Super Friends shorts, Jade in the Bratz series, The Enchantress in Avengers, Assemble!, and Faora in Justice League Action among others.
Notable roles by Fryda Wolff:
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Additional voices
- Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth & Rising Tide - Narrator
- Project Spark - Scarlett
- Octodad: Deadliest Catch - Voices
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Additional voices
- Sid Meier's Starships - Voices
- The Secret World, The Park - Lorraine
- Gods Of Rome - Medusa, Athena
- Fallout 4 - Vault Security
- Xcom 2 - Soldiers, Additional voices
- Evolve - Caira
- The Technomancer - Boulgakov, Additional voices
- Street Fighter V - Information voice
- Killer Instinct - Mira
- Paradigm - Rebel Leader, Apple Head, Children's Book Narrator
- Mass Effect: Andromeda - Sara Ryder
- Guardians of The Galaxy: The Telltale Series - Lylla
- Paladins - Vivian
- DC Super Friends - Poison Ivy
- Bratz - Jade
- Avengers, Assemble! - The Enchantress
- Justice League Action - Faora
- Mobile Suit Gundam Origin II: Artesia's Sorrow - Mirai Yashima, Amuro Ray
Tropes applicable to Fryda Wolff's work:
- Action Girl: Sara Ryder, Mira, Faora, Caira...
- Contralto of Danger: When her characters are being serious, she tends to pull this out.
- Deadpan Snarker: Particularly in Andromeda, Sara can be played this way.
- One of Us: Fryda loves Andromeda fanart (she ships Sara/Jaal), and enjoys, in her own words "shooty shooty, hack-and-slash murder games". But she has admitted that she's not well-versed in tabletop gaming.There is not a situation that comes up that I don't think "You could solve this with murder." I am bad at Dungeons & Dragons.
- Promoted Fangirl: Has been very open about her admiration for Jennifer Hale, the voice of FemShep in the original Mass Effect trilogy.
- Star-Making Role: Despite Andromeda's other woes, her performance as Sara garnered quite a bit of fan praise.