is a development and publishing studio better known for its franchises Unreal
, Gears of War
, as well as its most widespread technology, the Unreal Engine
They started in 1991 as Potomac Computer Systems, and their first game ever, ZZT, was developed using Turbo Pascal. The studio would later be recognized as Epic Megagames, and shortly before the launch of the first Unreal Tournament, the company would rename itself as simply Epic Games.
Early and unknown games:
Unreal Engine games which Epic Shanghai (上海英佩) took part in but released by other publishers:
-  Global Mission TPS - ZY Games
-  Glourious Mission, aka Passion Leading Army - Giant Interactive
-  Homefront - THQ
-  Spec Ops: The Line - 2K Games
-  Gears Of War
-  Gears Of War II
-  Gears Of War III
-  Gears of War Judgment (developed by People Can Fly)
Tropes related to this company
- Ascended Fanfic / Promoted Fanboy: It became a constant since Unreal that Epic may pick up members of their community, so they can work with them. There are some examples in the Unreal page, most notably Make Something Unreal contest winners.
- The whole Unreal community got this for the 2014 reboot of Unreal Tournament, as a result of Epic co-developing it with the community.
- Game Engine: The Unreal Engine series. Still quite popular to this day, at roughly version 3.5, and with a fourth version on the way.
- Obvious Beta: Their latest games would find their way as incomplete releases, with Epic themselves releasing A LOT of patches. As of now, the worst offender is Unreal Tournament III, which had many Game Breaking Bugs in the GUI before the Black Edition.
- Shout-Out / Author Appeal: They seem to be very big fans of The Fifth Element, a possible inspiration for the Gear armor, Gorgon Burst Pistol, and Peacemaker Carbine.