Emily Watson is British actress, born January 14, 1967, best known for such movies as Breaking The Waves
, Punch Drunk Love
, Red Dragon
, Angela's Ashes
, The Proposition
, and Corpse Bride
. No relation to (and not to be confused with) Emma Watson
- Break the Cutie: Watson typically plays adorable and innocent characters who are often wide-eyed idealists or even waif prophets, but are ultimately savagely brought down or worse by the uncaring horribleness of the world.
- Character Tic: Watson's quivering lower lip has become a staple of her acting arsenal.
- Fake Nationality: Watson is English, but played a Scot in her debut film role. She would go on to play a Scot again (in The Water Horse), two Irish people, three Russians, and five Americans.
- Innocent Blue Eyes /Windows to the Soul: Watson has large, expressive blue eyes and most filmmakers know how to take advantage of them to highlight the kinds of characters she usually plays.
- Lady Swearsalot: While her characters are not typically known for their foul mouths, Emily herself had by far the foulest mouth on the set of The Proposition, according to the DVD interviews with the cast, none of whom are slouches in the bad language themselves.
- Shakespearean Actors: Began her career at the RSC, and named her first child Juliet in memory of that time.
- What Could Have Been: Jean-Pierre Jeunet wrote the character Amélie for Watson, and originally named her Emily. She eventually turned the role down because she couldn't get her French good enough. She was the original choice to play Elizabeth I in Elizabeth, which made a star of Cate Blanchett.
- The Woobie: Most of her characters are this, much to her annoyance.