From the cover of her collected worksDori Seda
was an Underground Comics
artist (1951-88) who lived and worked in San Francisco
where she met and co-worked with other underground comic stars, including Robert Crumb
- Big Friendly Dog: Tona is very stinky, but otherwise not too bad.
- Black Comedy: Just one thing: The name "Sylvia Silicosis" she used for herself? It was based on the fact that she had this disease.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall / Rebelling Against The Author: In one of her comics, her characters rebel against the way the story goes (it involves her - yes, Dori's - stinky dog, and that's all we're gonna say) and even leave the drawing paper at the end. Dori accepts and warns them of her cat (who's bigger than the characters) on the way out.
- Butch Lesbian: Several in the "Terry Chop-Part" story.
- Cherry Pop-Tart: Once parodied with Terry Chop-Part.
- Comic Sutra: Two of her works feature a foursome which look... difficult.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: In one story about hell. John Belushi has to make Adolf Hitler, Marquis de Sade and Albert Fisk laugh. John Wayne is married to Oscar Wilde. And Moe Howard is forced to watch My Dinner With Andre forever.
- Crazy Cat Lady: She had two (one of them called Dracula), and a big dog, Tona
- Daddy's Girl: He was a hobby artist and taught her to draw and paint from an early age.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Some guy is doing this openly in a Funny Background Event.
- The Dominatrix: Hired by one curious guy. He gets literally addicted to this kind of sex, but then they have a row, and he decides to - date a gay guy, despite never having had any gay tendencies. And then, he likes it. Not sure whether this makes sense...
- And another story is about a woman who's a poor, suppressed employee by day and this by night. For the very boss who commands and punishes her during the day.
- Droste Image:On the cover of her Lonely Nights: Comics to read if the couple next door is fucking too loud. It shows the author with one of her comic books, and so on.
- Good Angel, Bad Angel: With the devil wearing a leather corset and stockings.
- Hard-Drinking Party Girl: Dori herself. And she's not against harder drugs either.
- Mud Wrestling: Subverted by her mudwrestling story. It's all about her talking with a guy about making a comic about mudwrestling, but she admits at the end that she doesn't know a single thing about it.
- My Girl Is Not a Slut / My Girl Is a Slut: She once met a guy who insisted that she'd go to a swinger club with her. At first she wasn't fond of the idea at all. Then she met some nice Arab guy and had sex with him in a pool - and as it seems, her personality made a 180° turn. Her friend was pissed off.
- Nerd: In the swinger club story, her friend criticized her as this, because she didn't want to go to a pool with other nude people (well, at first, you know how things turned out).
- Photo Comic: She also made several of them, appearing in them as "Sylvia Silicosis".
- Really Gets Around
- San Francisco: Where she lived
- Smoking Hot Sex: After sex, people sometimes are depicted with smoking genitals.
- Starving Artist
- Hopefully not Suspiciously Specific Denial ("no, I don't fuck my dog.")
- Take Our Word for It: The stink of Tona
- A Threesome Is Hot: Actually, no threesomes in her work, but two foursomes (two men and two women each)
- Transvestite: A friend of her, who appears in many stories.
- Visual Pun: She made a cartoon about "cereal killers" and another one about bishop Tutu wearing a tutu.
- We Named the Monkey Jack: She had given her friend Tony a cat, which he called Doro. When she got a dog from him, she called him Tona.
- What Could Have Been: Her buddy Joe O. suggested her to draw another CAUP comic, where Sigmund Freud in hell has to psychoanalyze Harpo Marx - who stays in character all the time, i.e.
- Write Who You Know: Most of her stories even feature her as the main character.