Deborah Ann "Debby" Ryan (born May 13, 1993) is an American actress and singer
, best known for starring as Bailey Pickett in the Disney Channel
original series The Suite Life on Deck
. The series established Ryan as a Teen Idol
and became the most-watched children's show on television since its premiere in October 2008.
In 2010, she starred in the film 16 Wishes
, which was the most-watched cable program on the day of its premiere on the Disney Channel and one of the most-watched movies on television. In addition, 16 Wishes
introduced Ryan to new audiences, such as contemporary adult audiences, since the movie received high viewership in the young adult demographic (18-34).
She now has her on show on Disney Channel called Jessie
, which follows a girl who moves from Texas to New York to become a nanny for a family of four. In February 2012, she starred in a movie called Radio Rebel
. Most recently she performed in the 2013 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. She has also recently formed a band called Debby & The Never Ending. Their debut album One
is slated for release in summer 2014.
Compare to Jennette McCurdy
(who happens to be one of her closest friends in Real Life
). All subjective tropes go in the YMMV tab
This actress shows examples of:
- The Cast Showoff: She likes to sing in almost everything she's done.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Have you been to her Twitter page?
- Country Mouse: Her two most famous roles are a farm girl from Kansas and a girl from rural Texas. Plus, she's originally from Alabama (and grew up in Texas, too). Not played entirely straight though.
- Cover Version: Of "We Got The Beat" by The Go-Go's for Radio Rebel.
- Darker and Edgier: Her cover of "Superstition" - up to that point all of her songs have been bubbly pop songs, and even The Cover Changes The Meaning rendition of "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" was still a Softer And Slower Cover version of a pop song.
- Arguably Jessie. Both the character and the show itself are a little more "grown up" compared to ''Suite Life On Deck" and Disney Channel fare in general.
- "Do It Yourself" Theme Tune: "Hey, Jessie" for Jessie.
- Fanservice: As shown above, She Cleans Up Nicely (and isn't bad in casual wear, either).
- Hidden Depths: Her roles outside of Disney Channel.
- Idol Singer: So far, she sang "Hakuna Matata" for Disney Mania 7, "A Wish Comes True Every Day" and "Open Eyes" for 16 Wishes, and the theme song for her show Jessie.
- Potentially averted since she says she typically refuses record-signing deals because she wants to remain independent as a vocal artist.
- Large Ham: She tends to be very hammy in her comedic roles.
- Military Brat: This is alluded in Jessie.
- Mistaken Identity: An entertainment news show once mistook her for Demi Lovato.
- Shrinking Violet: Her character in Radio Rebel (incidentally, the Trope name is also the name of the source material novel).
- Apparently, despite having been in television roles since before being a teenager, Debby's still this in Real Life, too.
- Softer And Slower Cover: "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together"
- Spiritual Successor: To Anne Hathaway, to some extent.