Daniel Dale Johnston (born 1961) is an American musician and artist. Although he is not too well known, he has a strong cult following. Johnston is usually known for his lo-fi recordings from the 1980s, his most popular album being Hi, How Are You?
, released in 1983.
Along with writing music, he is also an artist/cartoonist. Johnston has been diagnosed with both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia, and has been in and out of mental institutions.
- Careful With That Axe: in "Don't Play Cards With Satan",(1990 version) Daniel, shouts at the top of his lungs for 2 instances of the word "Satan"
I heard the voice of SATAN!!!!
Crying in the woods...
- Mood Whiplash: In the album 1990, the previously mentioned Don't Play Cards With Satan ends with Daniel screaming "SATAN!!" at the top of his lungs. The next track is the happy and uplifting True Love Will Find You In The End
- New Sound Album: Daniel's earlier albums mainly featured songs that were played on a piano. 1991's Artistic Vice did not feature any piano at all.
- Three Chords and the Truth: On guitar, Daniel pretty much only plays the A, A minor, E, E minor, G,C and D chords.
- Vocal Evolution: Dan's voice changed a lot by the late 90s, probably due to chain smoking.