CyberConnect2 『サイバーコネクトツー』 is a video game developer founded on February 16, 1996 and situated in Fukuoka, Japan. They are best known for the Dot Hack series and the Naruto: Ultimate Ninja series, but have a made few other games such as Tail Concerto, Silent Bomber, Solatorobo, and a recent collaboration effort with Capcom on Asura's Wrath.The company was formerly known as CyberConnect, and was composed of a group of 10 people, nine of which who previously worked on Taito's Psychic Force and Ray Storm. Its name changed to CyberConnect2 on the 7th of October 2007 after there was a change in command after their first two games Tail Concerto and Silent Bomber commercially failed (despite being decent enough games).They have also expanded their production beyond games, beginning with the formation of "Sensible Art Innovation" to create the .hack//G.U. Trilogy movie, and LieN to compose their music.Following the cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3, the president and CEO, Hiroshi Matsuyama, has said he would be delighted to take over the project.Indisputably, these guys know how to make boss battles.Compare to PlatinumGames.
Games created by CyberConnect:
Games and franchises started by CyberConnect2:
- Dot Hack (2002)
- The Naruto Ultimate Ninja series
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 (2010)
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm Generations (2012)
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 (2013)
- Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 3: Full Burst (Late 2013-Early 2014)
- Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm Revolution (2014)
- Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 (2016)
- Solatorobo (2011)
- Solatorobo2 (TBA)
- Guilty Dragon (2012, Smartphone and IOS game)
- Jojos Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle (2013)
- Shadow Escaper (2013, Smartphone and IOS game)
- Shinigami Messiah (2013, Smartphone and IOS game)
Games CyberConnect2 has collaborated with or have been hired to help work on:
- Asura's Wrath (2012)
Tropes associated with CyberConnect2:
- Episodic Game: .hack is arguably the Trope Codifier, and the company also worked on the Final Fantasy VII Remake released this way.
- For The Cel Of It: A lot of their games have cel shading of sorts.
- Numbered Sequel: Some of their games feature this (most notably the Naruto (Shippuden): Ultimate Ninja Storm subseries. The company itself also exhibits this trope, following the change in company command/management.
- Press X to Not Die: Starting with the Ultimate Ninja Storm series of Naruto fighters, though many of them are said to be done well. Asura's Wrath by the same people takes this to unexplored territory, especially during the Chakravartin battle.
- This will be avoided in Jojos Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle, on the other hand.
- Pummel Duel: Ever since the Release of Asura's Wrath, this is being incorporated more and more into their gameplay. It appears in Jojos Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle as a game mechanic and appears in the first gameplay demo of Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 4 as a finale QTE between Madara and Hashirama.
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: A lot of their protagonists have these, to go along with a Superpowered Evil Side. Haseo, Kyuubi Naruto, Red the Hunter, and more recently, Asura are the stand out examples of this. CyberConnect2-chan in Hyperdimension Neptunia V, who an anthropomorphization of the company itself, also invokes this.
- Rule of Cool: Can rival, if not, surpass PlatinumGames in this when it comes to Japanese game developers, especially in their cinematics.
- Self-Made Man: Of the founding members of the original CyberConnect, the current president and CEO, Hiroshi Matsuyama, was the only one with no prior video-game creation experience (he worked on graphics and level design).
- Unexpected License: Their involvement with the Final Fantasy VII remake came out of nowhere for many.