-American actress, born August 7, 1975, best known for such movies as Monster
, The Italian Job
remake, The Devil's Advocate
, Ĉon Flux
, The Road
and Young Adult
This actress provides examples of:
- Amoral Afrikaner: Averted Trope.
- Beauty Inversion: Her role in Monster, which won her an Oscar.
- Erudite Stoner: Was once photographed by paparazzi making a bong out of an apple.
- Fake Nationality: Charlize has yet to play someone who's actually South African (although her character in Mighty Joe Young lives in Africa, she's American).
- Fan Disservice: Beautiful as she is, she's not really known for doing enticing nude scenes...
- Fanservice: ...But for every The Devil's Advocate or Monster there's a Reindeer Games or The Cider House Rules, among several other exceptions to the above.
- Large Ham: In both Monster and Snow White & the Huntsman.
- No Pronunciation Guide: In trailers and media appearances, her last name is pronounced "Ther-ON." If you encounter any white South Africans (Afrikaners) and mention her by name, they will go out of their way to remind you that her name is pronounced like "throne."
- Mean Character, Nice Actor: She won an Oscar for playing serial killer Aileen Wuornos in Monster and later portrayed the evil witch in the film mentioned above. In contrast, she has been involved with numerous charities.
- One of Us: Apparently, she's hugely into Game of Thrones.
- Old Shame:
- South Africa: Became famous at a time when it still wasn't very popular to be white and from South Africa, thanks to apartheid. When she hosted Saturday Night Live during the 26th season (2000-2001), Tracy Morgan pointed out that technically Charlize Theron is African-American (despite looking like she could pass for white European), since she was born in an African country and came to America.
- Jay Leno made the same joke after she won the Oscar, saying that she was the second African-American woman (after Halle Berry) to win Best Actress.