"All the funny stuff's down to Catherine Tate. I'm just her bitch."Catherine Tate, born in 1968 as Catherine Ford, is a British comedienne. Having played guest roles in The Bill ( who hasn't in the UK?), her big break came with The Catherine Tate Show. Her most notable character from that was schoolgirl Lauren, with her Catch-Phrase "Am I bovvered?"Her next well-known role was playing Donna Noble in a well-received Doctor Who Christmas Special in 2006. She was brought back in 2008 as a full-time companion of the Doctor, and ended up becoming a fan-favorite character thanks to her truly excellent performance and her character's much-needed Character Development.She had a similar experience with the American version of The Office, first making a guest appearance in the final episode of season 7 then returning in season 8 as a major character.After playing bit parts for the Royal Shakespeare Company in her younger years, she returned as a leading lady in 2011, playing Much Ado About Nothing's Beatrice opposite longtime friend and former Doctor Who co-star David Tennant. She's also joined the cast of Ducktales 2017 as iconic villainess Magica De Spell, once again playing opposite of Tennant.
Tropes associated with this actress include:
- Fiery Redhead: Plays a lot of these — see Donna Noble and Beatrice for starters.
- Hypothetical Casting: There's a number of Sherlock fans who want to see her as John's yet-to-be-seen sister Harriet Watson.
- Large Ham: Tropes Are Not Bad
- Memetic Mutation: "You never forget your first Doctor. Unless you're Donna. Poor, poor Donna."
- Playing Against Type: As the deadly serious Knight of Cerebus villain Magica De Spell in Ducktales 2017.
- Those Two Actors: With David Tennant, first in Doctor Who, followed by Much Ado About Nothing, Comic Relief, The Catherine Tate Show, Big Finish Doctor Who, other Shakespeare adaptations, DuckTales (2017) and many other shows.