Creator: Bryan Fuller
Bryan Fuller (born July 27, 1969) is an American screenwriter and producer. Starting his TV writing career on the Star Trek franchise and on the TV remake of Carrie, Fuller soon began to come into his own following the Turn of the Millennium, when he began creation and co-creating his own works.Famous for starting dark-yet-humorous hit cult shows, his notable, independant early works include Dead Like Me (2003-04), Wonderfalls (2004), and Pushing Daisies (2007-2009). He also was an executive producer on the first, fourth and fifth volumes (because Seasons aren't comic book-y enough) of Heroes, and wrote fan-favorite episode "Company Man".During Fall 2012, he attempted a reboot of The Munsters for NBC, dubbed Mockingbird Lane, which did not make it past the pilot stage. His latest series is the crime series Hannibal, based on the character of Hannibal Lecter, running since April 2013 on NBC. Hannibal is an especially notable entry as, not only did season one mark the first time he got to end a first season on his own terms, but it's his first show not to be Screwed by the Network before reaching season three. He is also currently working on a television adaptation of the Neil Gaiman novel American Gods, which he will co-Produce with Michael Green.Known for his wildly original, sophisticated and usually macabre work; lamentably, his series tend to not last too long. Fuller seems to be fond of giving female leads Tomboyish Names. All of his series (yes, even the Darker and Edgier Playing Against Type Hannibal) share a universe.Has a Twitter here.
Tropes associated with Fuller and his shows:
- Action Girl: Female protagonists are frequent, and badass female characters even moreso.
- Anyone Can Die: Appears in a few shows, most notably Hannibal, where Plot Armor is dubious even for characters in the later books.
- Author Appeal: All works contain at least some flavor of either magic, death or murder. And sometimes food.
- Bechdel Test: Most shows pass.
- Flat "What.": The reaction of many to Hannibal getting renewed for a third season, as it's the first of his shows to do so.
- One of Us: A big fan of the Star Trek series, he ended up on the writing team for 22 episodes. Besides that, occasional Shout Outs can be found hidden in places.
- One of These Things is Not Like the Others: The shows he has created; Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Up Dasies and Hannibal.
- Production Posse: Though some are reduced to The Cameo, quite a few actors can be seen passing between works. The Other Wiki even has a chart showing overlap.
- Screwed by the Network: And how. Despite making shows with strong fandoms and great responses, several of his shows have been subject to cancellation. Put it this way: when Hannibal was the first of his shows to receive a third season, a large part of the fan-response was disbelief. Of course now even Hannibal has been cancelled...
- Trolling Creator: Via twitter. Hell, when fan rumors started flying about the apparent death of Season 2 Hannibal character Dr. Frederick Chilton, he proceeded to post ambiguous tweets and diagrams of how they could have survived.
- The Verse: All his shows take place in "The Fullerverse".