Creator: Brian Froud
Brian Froud is well known for Fantasy Art, mainly focusing of faerie folk. After the rise of Fantasy Art in the Seventies with notables like Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo, the cladistic tree of Fantasy Art and grew and branched into subgenres, one such subgenre was Faerie Art. Brian Froud is Faerie Art.Most people will recognize him for his work on the films Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal, in which his concept art provided the foundation for the extensive World Building seen in those films.Froud's homepage can be found here.
- The Dark Crystal
- Faeries: An art book co-produced by Froud and Alan Lee; probably Froud's best-known work. Spawned an obscure 1981 animated TV special.
- The Goblin Companion: An art book with concept art from the movie, featuring humorous biographies of dozens of goblins and fleshing out the world of the Labyrinth. Illustrated by Froud and written by Labyrinth screenwriter Terry Jones.
- Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book, another collaboration with Terry Jones.
Tropes in his work
- Darker and Edgier: Though still very whimsical.
- Double Sided Book: One of his art books is Bad Fairies if you start from one end and Good Fairies if you start from the other. The critter in the middle could look like either, depending on which way up the picture is.
- The Fair Folk
- Our Fairies Are Different
- Ugly Cute: A lot of his faeries come off this way.
- World Building