"Bill Murray, the SNL stand-out, the Ghostbuster, the weatherman who shouldn't forget his booties because it's cooooold out there today, who became the world's favorite uncle. The huggable hangdog with a twinkle in his eye that could start the next big bang. In recent years, he took on another face, morphing from a movie star into a puckish figure, randomly interjecting himself into the days of regular people like us; scene-stealing cameos in the poorly-reviewed, repetitively-structured films of our lives."William James Murray (born September 21, 1950) is an American actor and comedian. From growing up in the Chicago satellite community of Wilmette, Illinois, he gained national exposure on Saturday Night Live after Chevy Chase left in the middle of season two and Lorne Michaels hired Murray as Chase's replacement. Though he is now considered one of the best cast members SNL has ever had, Murray was originally dismissed by fans as a weak replacement for Chevy Chase. When Chase came back to host on the show's third season, he and Murray got into a vicious fight backstage and had to be pulled apart by fellow cast members Dan Aykroyd and John Belushi. When Chase came back to host during the show's fifth season, the two did a monologue together showing that all was forgiven. In fact, Chase and Murray were the first choices to play Otter and Boon, respectively, in Animal House. Among his most popular characters on the show was singing Lounge Lizard Nick Winters with his most famous sketch the one where he sings the Star Wars theme with added lyrics: Star Wars … nothing but Star Wars …Murray went on to star in a number of critically and commercially successful comedic films including Stripes, Tootsie, Meatballs, Caddyshack, both Ghostbusters (1984), and Groundhog Day.He gained additional critical acclaim later in his career, starring in Lost in Translation, for which he was nominated for an Academy Award, and a series of films directed by Wes Anderson, including Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, Fantastic Mr. Fox and Moonrise Kingdom. He is widely regarded as one of the most talented and unique comedic actors of his generation. His brother, Brian Doyle-Murray, was also a Saturday Night Live cast member and was in a few movies with his brother.Has developed a habit in his golden years of resurfacing in the strangest places. May or may not be a shape-shifting coyote trickster god.
— Stuart Millard, The Legend of Bill Murray
This actor contains examples of:
- Adam Westing: In Space Jam, Zombieland and Coffee and Cigarettes.
- Bookends: He was David Letterman's first guest on both Late Night and The Late Show, and his final guest before his retirement in 2015.
- The Cameo: As befitting his personality and improvisational ability, he pops up in many projects unbilled.
- Cool Old Guy: There's a whole site of stories. Also, his role in Zombieland.Tallahassee: Six people left in the world, and one of them is Bill fuckin' Murray!
- Deadpan Snarker: All his movies but most notable are Caddyshack and Groundhog Day. Comedy Central even named him number one in their special "Mouthing Off: The Fifty-One Greatest Smart-Asses Of All Time".
- Hidden Depths: A very good (and goofy) golfer. He even won the Pebble Beach Pro-Am in 2011.
- Improv: Known to ad-lib his way through most of his movies. In fact, there are several, such as Little Shop of Horrors, Kingpin, and Space Jam where all his dialogue is completely ad-libbed. Though this is notably not the case in Ghostbusters, thanks to how well Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis were able to capture his voice in the script."That is one nutty hospital!"
- Massive Numbered Siblings: Bill has eight brothers and sisters, three of whom are also actors and writers.
- My Greatest Failure: After the phenomenal success of Ghostbusters (1984), Murray used his clout to bring a pet project to fruition, playing the main character in a film adaptation of W. Somerset Maugham's philosophical novel The Razor's Edge. However, mainstream audiences weren't ready to see funnyman Murray grapple with existential questions of life. The film tanked, and Murray was so disappointed that he quit acting temporarily to study at the Sorbonne, appearing in only one movie in the next four years.
- Raised Catholic
- Sad Clown: The role he tends to play more often in later life, particularly in Wes Anderson films like Rushmore and The Life Aquatic.
- Wandering the Earth: There are many stories of him crashing parties and other occasions due to his spontaneous and borderline nomadic lifestyle. When he received the Mark Twain Prize, Jimmy Kimmel noted that if the story of his life was about anyone but Bill Murray, you'd assume you were hearing about the most arrested man in the world.
- We Used to Be Friends: His friendship with Harold Ramis fell apart after making Groundhog Day because each had different thoughts of what the movie should be like. Happily, they reconciled shortly before Ramis' passing in 2014.
- At the 2014 Academy Awards a week after his death, Murray presented the award for Best Cinematography with Amy Adams. After saying the nominees and before announcing the winner, Murray went off script (as is his oeuvre) and said, "Oh, we forgot one. Harold Ramis. For Caddyshack, Ghostbusters and Groundhog Day." The audience at the ceremony applauded.