Creator: Apogee Productions
Apogee Productions was established in 1977 by ILM employee John Dykstra. The company is best known for its contributions to the original Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek The Motion Picture. It also created the CGI Paramount Pictures logo used from 1986-2002.The studio disbanded in the 1990s. Dykstra has since moved on to Sony Pictures Imageworks as an effects supervisor.Note: This organization has nothing to do with the company that released the video game Doom; or later Duke Nukem 3D, that was Apogee Software.
Aside from the above, Apogee has also done effects for:
- An American Tail (titles)
- Back to the Future: The Ride
- The first three entries of the Childs Play franchise.
- Die Hard 2
- Elvira, Mistress of the Dark (movie)
- Ghost Dad
- Ghostbusters II
- Highway To Heaven (one episode)
- The Last Starfighter
- My Stepmother Is an Alien
- Never Say Never Again
- Sewer Shark
- Canon Foreigner: The Epsilon IX design as seen in Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The original concept had it as simply a radar station on the surface of a planet.
- Stock Footage: Battlestar Galactica; which was further recycled wholesale into Space Mutiny.