is one of the Discovery Channel
's sister channels. It, as the name indicates
, originally focused on animal shows, most especially shows about endangered animals. It also hosted animal competitions, including agility competitions, several high-quality dog shows (including the Westminster Kennel Club show and the Eukanuba Tournament of Champions) and even some equestrian events, including the Rolex Championships. Has begun to suffer a degree of Network Decay
in recent years, as the programming lineup has begun to stray from it's animal-centric orientation.
Shows on this Network:
- Animal Armageddon, which is about extinction events throughout Earth's history.
- Animal Face Off, which deals with which of two contemporaneous animals would win in a hypothetical fight.
- The Animal Planet Heroes shows, which deal with pet rescues.
- Battlegound: Rhino Wars, following a group of US Special Forces operatives attempting to stop rhinoceros poaching in South Africa.
- The Call Of The Wild 2000
- Call of the Wildman, which has Redneck celebrity Ernie "Turtleman" Brown, Jr. dealing with nuisance snapping turtles and various other animals in rural Kentucky, all with his bare hands.
- The Crocodile Hunter shows, including the original and Croc Hunter Diaries.
- Dogs 101/Cats 101, a Documentary series that covers various breeds.
- Emergency Vets and its sequel E-Vet Interns; set at Alameda East Animal Hospital in Denver, the top emergency animal hospital in the country. Your basic emergency room docudrama, but with animals; this show is probably responsible for an entire generation of aspiring vets and vet techs.
- Escape To Chimp Eden, a series showing efforts to rescue chimpanzees from abusive situations across Africa and rehabilitate them at the titular Chimp Eden wildlife sanctuary.
- There's also Orangutan Island, which is essentially this with orangutans. It follows a group of orphaned orangutans being rehabilitated to return to the wilds of Borneo.
- Fatal Attractions, a show about people who owned exotic animals as pets.
- Finding Bigfoot, a group of researchers trying to do Exactly What It Says on the Tin
- Gator Boys, which follows alligator wrestlers Paul Bedard and Jimmy Riffle as they capture & relocate nuisance alligators in Florida & Mississippi.
- Glory Hounds, a 2-hour documentary following US Army and Marine dog handlers fighting the War On Terror in Afghanistan.
- The Haunted, a series about paranormal investigations and ghost stories involving animals.
- Hillybilly Handfishing, a down south version of River Monsters but with fish being caught by hand.
- I, Predator, which details specific predator-prey relationships.
- Infested, a show about families battles against an invasion of various animal species.
- Its Me Or The Dog, which is essentially SuperNanny FOR DOGS. Here, trainer Victoria Stilwell reforms badly behaved canines.
- The Jeff Corwin Experience, a show about Jeff Corwin and his experiences with animals all around the world.
- Lone Star Legend, a series in a similar vein to Call of the Wildman, follows south Texas rancher Buck Medley as he deals with nuisance animal problems across southern Texas.
- Louisiana Lockdown, a series that shows maximum-security prison inmates at Louisiana's infamous Angola prison who are rewarded for good behavior by getting to be involved in several animal related programs, including a yearly rodeo.
- Lost Tapes, a Blair Witch-equse Mockumentary series about 'real monsters'.
- Meerkat Manor, a soap opera-ish show about various colonies of meerkats.
- Money Barn, a show that follows a group of auctioneers vying to get hired on to Auction off the contents of barns across rural America.
- Mud Lovin' Rednecks, a show about two rednecks couples trying to run a mud bogging hole.
- My Extreme Animal Phobia, a show about people trying to face animal phobias.
- The Most Extreme, a top ten countdown of "The Most Extreme..." mothers, swimmers, eaters, etc.
- Off The Hook Extreme Catches, which follows pro wrestler "Showtime" Eric Young as he partakes in strange and unusual sportfishing techniques across America.
- Pit Boss, a show about little people who rescue and strengthen the bad reputation of pit bulls.
- Pit Bulls And Parolees, about the Villalobos Rescue Center for pit bulls.
- The Puppy Bowl, a Super Bowl alternative with puppies! And bonus Kitty Halftime Show!
- Rattlesnake Republic, follows teams of rattlesnake hunters pursuing their quarry across Texas.
- River Monsters, a show about Jeremy Wade catching and releasing giant freshwater fish.
- Swamp Wars, a series that follows members of the Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Department's Venom One team as they deal with native and invasive reptile species in south Florida.
- Tanked, a show about two brothers-in-law as they run the largest aquarium manufacturing company in the nation.
- Too Cute, a fluffy show about litters of baby animals.
- Treehouse Masters, a show that follows designer Pete Nelson and his construction team as they create unique treehouses.
- Unlikely Animal Friends, a show about odd animal pairs.
- Whale Wars, which follows the Sea Shepherd as they attempt to Pay Evil unto Evil by stopping Japanese whaling ships.
- Wild West Alaska, which follows a gun store in Anchorage, Alaska as they build & sell guns and also take clients on hunting & fishing trips in the Alaskan wilderness.