"What's weirder? Bug aliens having boobs or bug aliens having their own Will Smith? This is the kind of question serious writers of science fiction ask themselves all the time."
Andrew Hussie is a webcomic
artist best known for MS Paint Adventures
, who rose to particular fame with his latest project Homestuck
. He's only been doing MSPA
for the past four years, though - for several years before then, he tried his hand at a fairly diverse array of webcomic endeavors and wrote a small number of graphic novels (only one was actually published). Other old endeavors of his include ironic reviews of muscular horse pornography (no longer available), and Jandrew Edits, a series of
humourous edits of Star Trek: The Next Generation
in collaboration with Jan Van Den Hemel.
It's abundantly clear that Hussie is a man who knows his tropes
well. Practically everything he does (but especially MSPA
) plays with
, hangs lampshades
, and otherwise works the hell out of the conventions of multiple genres at the same time. Also, if This Very Wiki
is anything to go by, he's very, very
Most of his older work is archived here
. He maintains a Twitter account
and a Tumblr blog
, and previously maintained two Formspring accounts, both now defunct; the Formspring accounts are archived here
He has huge lips.
Webcomic works by Hussie:
His greatest project (which doesn't actually exist):Published books:
- Team Special Olympics
- Inappropriate Time For Ham
- 3 Cheers for Steak!
- A Steep Price for Pie
- Riddler's Gammon
- What A Scoop!
- And It Don't Stop
- Neon Ice Cream Headache
- MS Paint Adventures
- Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff
Tropes related to Hussie himself or his non-MSPA works:
- Art Evolution: Aversion. Hussie's skill level is unknown but far above the work that he usually does. His writing and skill with Flash however, have improved.
- The art of Whistles and And It Don't Stop◊ really display how far beneath his skill level MSPA is.
- One need only look at the cover art for Homestuck's second volume◊ and compare it to the actual panel it's a representation of to see an immediate difference.
- Berserk Button: Wireless mice, the only subject where his raging about them on Twitter is not a massive exaggeration Played for Laughs.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Of the alien variant between Alf and Willie Tanner in his Mister Meatloaf edit.
- Better than a Bare Bulb
- Creator Thumbprint: Glasses, especially shades, all manner of treatments of hiphop/rap and its surrounding culture, clowns, heavy video game influences, and always a dash of Crazy Awesome.
- Dada Comics: A very sizable portion of his earlier work is like this, as well as Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff. Shades of this still crop up in MSPA every so often.
- Deadpan Snarker: Dear God, he's a veritable master of it.
- Doing It for the Art
- Embarrassing Tattoo: Of Hella Jeff. We shit you not.
- Famous Ancestor: He claims to be a descendent of Doc Holliday (despite Doc Holliday having no recorded offspring), who served as the partial namesake of Doc Scratch of Homestuck.
- Gag Lips: The subject of oh so much Self-Deprecation and Memetic Mutation.
- Genre Busting: Individual genres (or mediums, for that matter!) mean little to Hussie; most of his work shows something of a genre blend, best exemplified in Homestuck.
- Genre Savvy / Dangerously Genre Savvy
- Kindhearted Cat Lover
- Large Ham: Online, anyway; he's actually much more subdued and calm in person. Sound familiar?
- Let Us Never Speak of This Again: His foray at Olive Garden
- One-Man Army: Consider Homestuck's legendary update rate coupled with the occasional Flash animation/game. Though he's supported by an art team which occasionally contributes assets to said Flash animations and a music team that does all but a small few musical samples, it's still impressive.
- Manipulative Editing: Despite being the writer of the scenarios, his old movie and tv edits have... interesting stories.
- Mix-and-Match Critters: The Humanimals. Very much Played for Laughs.
- Mundane Utility: A recurring gag in Humanimals, where any given character's unique physiology is utilised to, say, refill the printer at the office.
- Mythology Gag: At this point, a sizable sample of his older work has been referenced in Homestuck. Yes, even the horse porn reviews (hint: pay attention to Equius's taste in art).
- Naked Q In The Living Room: In his The NaQed Now edit.
- Nice Guy: When he's not teasing his fans, he's generally considered to be polite.
- Screw Yourself: Done to William T. Riker and his clone in his beard on beard edit.
- Seen It All: The premise of his Uneventful Day edit of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
- Self-Deprecation: Surprisingly frequent on his part, both in his work and otherwise. It provides an interesting contrast to how he's much more well known for going the other way.
- Stylistic Suck: A specialty of his, usually explored through art but occasionally through writing. He has said that his goal is to replicate the Uncanny Valley which the works of inexperienced artists who are just on the very edge of actually being good naturally occupy.
- The Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book takes this to an art form. The fancy, gold foil stamped hardcover has a random patch of glossy finish resembling a coffee cup stain, with letters made out in the same way next to it spelling out "woopps".
- The Smart Guy: His comics contain many a Genius Bonus. He even explains a couple of hard sciences on his website.
- Teasing Creator / Trolling Creator: The trolling creator. You cannot defeat Hussie in a creator-trolloff. He is simply the best there is.
- The Walrus Was Paul: Occasionally.
- When He Smiles: D'awww◊.
- Worst News Judgment Ever: The primary point of What A Scoop!.
Pages headlined with a HussQuote™: