Creator: Andrew "Dice" Clay
"Up yours, cocksucker!"Andrew "Dice" Clay, born Andrew Clay Silverstein, is an insult comedian who was once popular in the 1980s and 1990s known as the Don Rickles of his generation. Nicknamed "The Diceman", he is well known for his combination of Vulgar Humor and Refuge in Audacity that was controversially racist, sexist, homophobic and misogynistic, all done in a thick New York accent with his look resembling Greaser Delinquents. OHHHH!!!Lorne Michaels reluctantly agreed to let Clay host the episode on a seven-second delay (which Michaels does not like to do, but had to on this and two other SNL episodes hosted by controversial comedians: Sam Kinison when he hosted during the 12th season, and Richard Pryor when he hosted during the first season).Clay starred in films such as the bomb The Adventures of Ford Fairlane and the stand-up concert film Dice Rules. Later, he tried to soften his image by dropping his "Dice" nickname and appearing in the Short Runner CBS sitcom Bless This House. After re-adopting his vulgar persona, he Adam Wested as himself on a season of Entourage.EMF used a sample of him yelling "WHAT THE FUCK!" for their hit single "Unbelievable". Ice Cube also sampled one of his punchlines ("Good ol' Mother Goose, remember her?... Yeah, I fucked 'er.") for "Gangsta's Fairytale".
Tropes in his work:
- Alter Ego Acting:
- An unusually subverted Type 2, to the point where many could not distinguish between the Diceman's real life self (Andrew Clay Silverstein) and his stage persona.
- When meeting with Woody Allen to audition for Blue Jasmine, he said at the outset that he was there as Andrew the person and not "Andrew Dice Clay", the stage comedian.
- Black Comedy: His idea of being un-PC just for the sake of it.
- Catch Phrase: OHHHHHH!!!
- Cluster F-Bomb
- Deconstruction: In Casual Sex, his character is deconstructed, and it turns out he is quite the family man in the end.
- Greaser Delinquents: What the Diceman's look is a throwback to.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- I Banged Your Mom: The Diceman's response to vocalizations from audience members; "Your mother... [beat], [beat], (shrug), yeah, I fucked 'er."
- "Just Joking" Justification: A standard response Clay uses in defense of his stand-up act, claiming it to be "satire". Oddly enough, he usually fails to mention exactly what he's satirising or commenting on.
- Large Ham
- Persona Non Grata: The only person to be banned from MTV.
- Refuge in Audacity/Vulgar Humor: Dice's schtick revolves around being as much of a crude, sexist, foulmouthed pig as he can be.