Creator: Andrew "Dice" Clay
"Up yours, cocksucker!"
Andrew "Dice" Clay, born Andrew Clay Silverstein, is an insult comedian
who was once popular in the 1980s and 1990s known as the Don Rickles
of his generation. Nicknamed "The Diceman", he is well known for his combination of Vulgar Humor
and Refuge in Audacity
that was controversially racist, sexist, homophobic and misogynistic, all done in a thick New York
accent with his look resembling Greaser Delinquents
. OHHHH!!!Lorne Michaels
reluctantly agreed to let Clay host the episode on a seven-second delay
(which Michaels does not like to do, but had to on this and two other SNL
episodes hosted by controversial comedians: Sam Kinison
when he hosted during the 12th season, and Richard Pryor
when he hosted during the first season).
Clay starred in films such as the bomb The Adventures of Ford Fairlane
and the stand-up concert film Dice Rules
. Later, he tried to soften his image by dropping his "Dice" nickname and appearing in the Short Runner CBS
sitcom Bless This House
. After re-adopting his vulgar persona, he Adam Wested
as himself on a season of Entourage
used a sample of him yelling "WHAT THE FUCK!" for their hit single "Unbelievable". Ice Cube
also sampled one of his punchlines ("Good ol' Mother Goose, remember her?... Yeah, I fucked 'er.") for "Gangsta's Fairytale".
Tropes in his work:
- Alter Ego Acting:
- An unusually subverted Type 2, to the point where many could not distinguish between the Diceman's real life self (Andrew Clay Silverstein) and his stage persona.
- When meeting with Woody Allen to audition for Blue Jasmine, he said at the outset that he was there as Andrew the person and not "Andrew Dice Clay", the stage comedian.
- Black Comedy: His idea of being un-PC just for the sake of it.
- Catch Phrase: OHHHHHH!!!
- Cluster F-Bomb
- Greaser Delinquents: What the Diceman's look is a throwback to.
- Hair-Trigger Temper
- I Banged Your Mom: The Diceman's response to vocalizations from audience members; "Your mother... [beat], [beat], (shrug), yeah, I fucked 'er."
- "Just Joking" Justification: A standard response Clay uses in defense of his stand-up act, claiming it to be "satire". Oddly enough, he usually fails to mention exactly what he's satirising or commenting on.
- Large Ham
- Persona Non Grata: The only person to be banned from MTV.
- Refuge in Audacity/Vulgar Humor: Dice's schtick revolves around being as much of a crude, sexist, foulmouthed pig as he can be.