At Big Apple PonyCon 2013.
"Well Iíve been doing it for about twenty years, I did films when I was a little kid, when I was about six or seven, I was in films and I had this really high voice, I did a series called Dino Babies, that was my first one. And then after that I did Madeline, yeah so it just kind of happened and then never went away. Then everyone said your voice is going to change and youíll be out... No, no, still on helium." Help describe Andrea Libman, that is, um, if you don't mind
summing up her career.
Need a cute voice to go with an absolutely cute character? Look no further than Andrea Libman!
Andrea Libman is a Canadian voice actress working with The Ocean Group
, who has a knack for voicing cute girls
. Andrea started off as a child actress in Vancouver
based shows and movies, such as Highlander
, Little Women
, and a notable appearance in an episode of The X-Files
, "Born Again"
, as a cute yet possessed killer little girl. She eventually focused on voice over roles, starting with Dinobabies
, mostly because she got braces for a while so live action people didn't want her but also because she's a tad camera shy.
Her notable Western roles include Emmy of Dragon Tales
, young AndrAIa
, Lemon Meringue in Strawberry Shortcake
, Harmony Bear in Care Bears: Adventures in Care-A-Lot
, Cathy in Monster Buster Club
, and of course Pinkie Pie & Fluttershy
in My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
, characters that couldn't be any more different beyond the fact that they're cute and high-pitched. Andrea also voiced Zipzee and Sweetie Belle in the G3 era of My Little Pony
, which in her own words was "just sweet, sweet, sweet
." She was also the original voice of X-23
when the character debuted in X-Men: Evolution
, so she's got some super hero cred under her belt, too. Upcoming roles include Cylindria in the upcoming Pac-Man
cartoon and the title character of the Maya the Bee
remake. Pseudo-gamer cred and more cute!
Like other Ocean Group actors she's done her share of anime dubs, notably Chi Chi in Dragon Ball
and Mileina Vashti in Mobile Suit Gundam 00
, who is described elsewhere on This Wiki
as "Pinkie Pie if she weren't
hyper". Still cute.
Before the memetic popularity
, her most famous role would probably be that of cute classic children's book character Madeline
, whom she played in the 1990s series The New Adventures of Madeline
(taking over the role from Tracey Lee-Smythe) and movie Lost in Paris
. After the movie she was replaced by Chantal Strand
, who would also
go on to voice a pink pony in Friendship is Magic
She's also an accomplished singer, and her vocals can be heard on the songs "When Sunny Gets Blue," "The Girl From Ipanema" and "I'll Be There" on the late 2014 multi-artist CD At Home
(which also features fellow MLP VA Michelle Creber
). Earlier on, Libman also sang on Creber's parody video "Tweet It" from late 2013.
Has a Facebook page
and a Twitter account
Not to be confused with Andrew
Libman, despite certain TV listings constantly crediting her as such for Friendship is Magic
- Bilingual Bonus: She's fluent in both English and French, though she often describes her French as being "a little rusty".
- Breakout Character: Many characters voiced by her become this down the line.
- The Chick: A lot of her characters fall under this, although there are some exceptions.
- Do I Really Sound Like That?: Despite her lovably cute voice, she isn't very fond of listening to it herself. This led to an ironic meta joke in which Pinkie gushes over Fluttershy's singing voice (unlike Pinkie, Libman does Fluttershy's singing herself).
- Funny Character, Boring Actor: Despite voicing the hyperactive Pinkie Pie, she doesn't fancy herself as being all that funny. Compare her Twitter feed to pony-co-star Tara Strong's Twitter feed. She's not Pinkie in human form, that honor would go to her fellow My Little Pony castmate Claire Corlett.
- One of Us: She refers to herself as a nerd, and actually thought she was going to be cast as Twilight Sparkle initially when she auditioned for My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.
- Older Than She Looks
- Playing Against Type:
- Reclusive Artist: Before Friendship is Magic, little was really known about her and the only information of her was back when she was a little girl. No longer the case as of this day.
- Vocal Evolution: She joked at Fushicon 2011 how this hasn't happened to her, see the page quote.
- Woman of a Thousand Voices: As she demonstrates in the Eddie Murphy-esque "After-Birthday Party" sequence in "Party of One".