Amanda Michelle Seyfried (born December 3, 1985) is an American actress and former child model. Before her movie career started in earnest she was known for her roles as murder victim Lily Kane in Veronica Mars and Sarah Henrickson on the HBO drama series Big Love. Filmwise, she has starred as Sophie Sheridan in the feature film Mamma Mia!, and Karen Smith in Mean Girls.In 2009, she appeared in the supernatural horror comedy Jennifer's Body. To give you an idea of how warped that movie was, Seyfried was the Hollywood Homely best friend of Jennifer (played by Megan Fox).In 2010, she played the title role in Chloe, by Atom Egoyan. 2011 saw her playing the lead in Catherine Hardwicke's Red Riding Hood and starring opposite Justin Timberlake in In Time. She's recently garnered critical acclaim for her role as Cosette in the film adaptation of Les Miserables. She has collaborated with Seth MacFarlane on comedies such as Ted 2 and A Million Ways to Die in the West.
Her films include:
- Mean Girls (2004) - Karen Smith
- Alpha Dog (2006) - Julie Beckley
- Mamma Mia! (2008) - Sophie Sheridan
- Jennifer's Body (2009) - Anita "Needy" Lesnicki
- Dear John (2010) - Savannah Lynn Curtis
- Chloe (2010) - Chloe Sweeney
- Letters to Juliet (2010) - Sophie
- Red Riding Hood (2011) - Valerie
- In Time (2011) - Sylvia Weis
- Gone (2012) - Jill Conway
- Les Misérables (2012) - Cosette
- Lovelace (2013)
- Epic (2013) - Mary Katherine (voice)
- A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014) - Louise
- Ted 2 (2015) - Samantha Jackson
Her television roles include:
- Veronica Mars - Lily Kane
- Big Love - Sarah Henrickson
- Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey - Marie Tharp (voice)
- Twin Peaks - confirmed for the 2017 reboot; role unknown
Tropes associated with this actress' works:
- Ms. Fanservice: Her roles tend to be this.
- One Head Taller: While not tiny (she's 5' 3½") she is noticeably shorter than most of her onscreen love interests.
- Pretty in Mink: Has worn a few furs in her roles, such as a white fox wrap in In Time, and a fur coat in Lovelace.
- Production Posse: Something of a Seth MacFarlane regular (American Dad!, Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, A Million Ways to Die in the West, Ted 2).
- Teens Are Short / Dawson Casting: Being slightly shorter than average might be one of the reasons she is cast as younger than her real age so often. This was actually a plot point in Gone—Seyfried played a character much the same age as herself (i.e. mid-twenties) who at one point successfully blends in with a group of teenage girls while hiding from the cops.