"The success of the show is overwhelming. It's like being Alice at the Mad Hatter's tea party because you never know what's going to happen next."Kimberly Alexis Bledel (born September 16, 1981) is an American actress and model of Mexican and Argentinian descent. Alexis engaged in community theater when she was 8 years old, at the behest of her mother Nanette as a way to get over her natural shyness. She first started modeling at the tender age of 14 after being scouted in a local mall. At 18 she was asked if she'd like to audition for some acting parts and landed the role of Lorelai Leigh "Rory" Gilmore in the show Gilmore Girls in her very first audition, probably had something to do with her big blue sparkling eyes. Her portrayal of the character earned her several honors from teen-centric media. After the end of Gilmore Girls, she has concentrated on her film work and restarted her modeling career.
- Gilmore Girls and Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life (2000-2007,2016)
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants and its sequel. (2005, 2008)
- Tuck Everlasting (2002)
- Sin City (2005)
- ER (as one of the incoming interns in that show's Grand Finale)
- Mad Men: In the season five episode "Lady Lazarus", she plays an unhappy housewife Pete Campbell has a one night stand with. In real-life this turned into Romance on the Set, as Bledel married Vincent Kartheiser in 2014.
- Post Grad (2009)
- Jenny's Wedding (2015)
- The Handmaid's Tale as Ofglen (2017-Present)
- Contractual Purity: Due to working with Disney a couple of times and doing a lot of family-friendly teen roles, she had a 'sweetheart' reputation that Sin City was clearly an attempt to shake off.
- Dawson Casting: She turned twenty in 2001 but played teen roles for several years afterwards - Gilmore Girls, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Tuck Everlasting.
- Dyeing for Your Art: Defied. When she was a teen model, she was told to "lose two inches off those hips" and she refused.
- Irony as She Is Cast:
- Rory Gilmore loves coffee. Alexis hates it and is actually drinking coke in the scenes where Rory has coffee.
- Rory is also only passable at Spanish, using just basic conversational phrases. Alexis however is fluent, as Spanish is her first language.
- Latina Is Brown: Averted completely. You'd likely never guess that she's half-Mexican, half-Argentinian just by looking at her. English is even her second language, as she grew up Spanish-speaking.
- Older Than They Look: She can still easily pass for a teenage girl... even though she's now in her mid-30s.
- Playing Against Type:
- Romance on the Set:
- She met Milo Ventimiglia on the set of the Gilmore Girls where he was cast as her love interest. Their relationship lasted about as long as the onscreen one.
- It's the same with her Mad Men co-star Vincent Kartheiser. She guest-starred as his romantic interest in season five. The two entered a relationship not long afterwards, got engaged in 2013, got married in 2014, and now have a son as of 2015.
- Throw It In!: In Sin City Robert Rodriguez found Alexis's eyes so striking that he made sure they still showed up blue against the black and white.
- What Beautiful Eyes!: In Sin City, her eyes are one of the few things in color because the director liked them so much.
- What Could Have Been: