Alex: The Canadian-born television personality is the host of America's longest-running quiz program.
Contestant: Who is Alex Trebek?
Alex: Correct. Pick again.
Born on July 22, 1940, Alex Trebek is a Canadian-American celebrity famous for hosting Jeopardy
as well as a plethora of shows since the 1960s. His work ranges from many types of shows: commercials, game shows, music shows, and even sport events.
Shows hosted by Alex:
Tropes invoked by Alex:
- Badass Mustache: One of his distinguishing physical characteristics between the '70s and the '90s. So iconic that even after he shaved it off in 2001 (briefly growing it back in Fall 2014), he's still depicted with a mustache in various works, e.g. Saturday Night Live's "Celebrity Jeopardy" sketches.
- Canada, Eh?: He's a native of Ontario.
- Can't Get Away with Nuthin' : On s talk show, Alex announced that as soon as he had become an American Citizen, he was called for jury duty within the first week.
- Cool Old Guy
- Deadpan Snarker
- Funny Afro: Back in the 1970s.
- Gratuitous Foreign Language: He is very good with other languages, and often speaks in various languages if a contestant mentions that he or she speaks one.
- Guest Host: Most notably, Alex took over Pat Sajak's hosting duties on Wheel of Fortune on April 1, 1997 while the latter hosted Jeopardy.
- Long Runner: Even if you don't look at the previous shows he's hosted, Alex has been hosting Jeopardy since 1984.
- Porn Stache: His Badass Mustache was originally like this, but it got trimmed down.
- Shout-Out: To Mr. Mxyzptlk. In one Family Guy episode, he vanished when Mayor Adam West tricked him into saying "Kebert Xela".
- Which came full circle when an actual Jeopardy contestant who had $1 going into Final Jeopardy wrote down "What is Kebert Xela?" as his answer, hoping to send Alex to "another dimension."
- Type Casting: Whenever he appears in roles on non-game shows, Alex is always playing the host of a quiz show.