Creator: Akiyuki Shinbo
Akiyuki Shinbo is a Japanese anime director most noteworthy for being the primary director for Studio SHAFT since 2004; before that he was a freelance director, beginning with his direction of Metal Fighter Miku in 1994. His work SHAFT has been characterized by extensive experimentation with the visual medium of animation, and often includes pictures taken from real life cut into scenes, as well as Art Shifts, Beat Panels (despite the fact that his work is animated), Kabuki sound effects, textures that remain stationary when the textured object moves, showing symbols or defining parts of a character (Ahoge, Hair Decs, foreheads, or more bizarre symbols) in place of characters during dialogue, written text in place or in opposition to dialogue, downright surgical use of Fanservice, and head-turning cinematography.He was the director for the following series:
- Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha: The first season only, both A's and Strikers were directed otherwise. Shinbo also directed Nanoha's predecessor, Triangle Heart 3: Sweet Songs Forever.
- Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase: His first work with SHAFT and with voice actors Chiwa Saito and Hiroshi Kamiya, who he would work with extensively in his succeeding series.
- Pani Poni Dash!: The first to showcase his trademark mixed-medium style (most visible during the opening sequences, with various characters possessing real world images as part of their bodies).
- Hidamari Sketch
- Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei
- Puella Magi Madoka Magica
- The SoulTaker
- Le Portrait de Petite Cossette: This was the first time he worked with Yuki Kajiura. Because Madoka Magica writer, Gen Urobuchi liked the music from it he suggested Kajiura to Shinbo.
- Arakawa Under the Bridge
- Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko
- Sore Demo Machi Wa Mawatteiru
- Natsu no Arashi!!
- Katteni Kaizo
- Mekakucity Actors