(short for A
ovie Productions) is a South Korean animation studio formed in 1985 by Nelson Shin, a former animator at DePatie-Freleng Enterprises
and creator of the Lightsaber effects in Star Wars
, as well as producer of the original Transformers
TV Series and director of the show's (first) full-length toy commercial
The studio is also responsible for publishing a South Korean magazine called "Animatoon" since 1995. You can probably tell from the title what the magazine's about.
Amongst the series they animated:
- Animaniacs - 61 shorts and several bumpers.
- Arthur - The first eleven seasons, replaced by Animation Service (HK).
- Attack of the Killer Tomatoes! - Hired for the first season before being replaced by an in-house team.
- Batman: The Animated Series - 11 episodesList . Fired after the episode "Cat Scratch Fever" was animated.
- The Brothers Flub
- Bucky O'Hare and the Toad Wars
- Conan the Adventurer - With KK C&D Asia
- Dilbert - 4 episodes List . Rough Draft Studios and Yeson Entertainment handled the rest.
- Dino Riders - Hired for the remainder of the show's run after the first two episodes, replacing Hanho Heung-Up.
- Dooly The Little Dinosaur - Worked on the first season with Hanho.
- Dr. Rabbit's World Tour
- Earthworm Jim
- Empress Chung - AKOM's first major production for the Korean market, worked alongside the North Korean Studio SEK.
- Exo Squad - Replaced Sunrise after the initial stages of planning.
- Fraggle Rock - Animated Adaptation.
- Gargoyles - Subcontracted by Disney, of all companies. Six episodesList
- G.I. Joe & G.I. Joe Extreme
- Huntik: Secrets & Seekers
- Invasion America
- The Jackie Bison Show pilot
- The Land Before Time - Movies II to VI
- Littlest Pet Shop (1995) - With Wang and KK C&D
- The Magician
- Marsupilami - Early Marathon episodes only.
- Mission Hill - 6 episodes. Remaining episodes were by New Millennium.
- Mosaic - Opening titles only, main feature handled by Mook DLE.
- Muppet Babies - From Season four to the series' end.
- My Little Pony - G1, The Movie (With Toei Animationnote ) and Tales only.
- The Oblongs - 7 episodes. Remaining six were by Rough Draft Studios.
- Peter Pan & the Pirates - Amongst other companies, 9 episodesList .
- Pinky and the Brain - several episodes.
- Rescue Heroes - Seasons two & three, replacing the first company.
- RoboCop: The Animated Series
- Rude Dog And The Dweebs
- The Simpsons - Over 230 episodes. The company's most noticeable work. They also helped animate the movie and the game.
- Spiral Zone - 15 episodes, others by Visual 80 and an uncredited Mook DLE. Also split camera duty with Trans Arts.
- Teen Days
- Tiny Toon Adventures - 23 episodes List . One of their episodes had Ink and Paint shipped off to Fil-Cartoons.
- The Tick
- The Transformers - The company's first (known) work, 22 episodes (Three Season 2 episodesList , sixteen Season 3 episodesList and The Rebirth 3-parter). Done uncredited.
- Winx Club
- X-Men - seasons 1-4, and the first five episodes of season 5, later episodes done by Philippine Animation Studio Inc and Hong Ying.
Tropes associated with the company:
- Animation Bump: Occasionally (including select instances in Batman, Transformers, and Tiny Toon Adventures). Word of God has pointed out that they did the good animation in Spiral Zone. Also appears in The Simpsons Movie for obvious reasons.
- Many fans of Arthur consider the animation the company's animation to be of acceptable quality as well, slight errors aside.
- Author Appeal: The Transformers episodes "The Core", "City of Steel" and "The Autobot Run" had liberal usage of the Constructicons.
- Limited Animation: Not to the extent of Filmation, but still present. Of course the founder first worked at such a company.
- Off Model: A pretty awful poster child of this trope.
- The Renaissance Age of Animation: Established during this period.