Comicbook / Suicide Run
was an eleven-part Punisher
storyline event that run through all three of the character's booksnote
from 1993 to 1994.
Several criminal elements conceive a fake meeting to draw out The Punisher. Knowing that the whole thing is going to be a trap, Frank takes precautions, which leads to a destruction of an entire skyscraper. In the aftermath, weakened Frank smuggles himself out of New York into the small town of Laastekist, and several parties of various moral spectrum soon follow.
This event has the examples of:
- An Asskicking Christmas: Some of the dialogue reveals that the whole thing takes place near christmas.
- Colliding Criminal Conspiracies: The little town of Laastekist finds itself in the middle of a war zone when everyone whose out to get Frank sets their foot in there. This includes the FBI, fellow vigilantes, the VIGIL organization, The Mafia, a biker gang and various smaller criminals.
- Dead Man Switch: Figuring out that the meeting in the skyscraper is a trap, Frank plants explosives in the bottom floor of the building. When the trap is eventually sprung he tells his enemies that he has his finger on a dead man's switch, and is ready to blow them all away.
- Death Faked for You: The sheriff of Laastekist claims that Castle died in an explosion after he lets him go.
- Genre Savvy: Punisher's longtime villains Jigsaw and Rosalie Carbone are smart enough to take no part in the skyscraper trap when given the chance.
- Legacy Character: After Frank is thought to have died in the collapsing skyscraper, several factions try to take up his mantle: The Black Cullens force one of their estranged members to dress like Punisher in order to quell to competition, police officer Lynn Michaels quits the force to become his replacement, a rich jerk tries to turn it into a protection franchise and a loser fanboy decides to start his own war against crime.
- Mistaken for Pedophile: When Sheriff Bendix discovers Frank hiding in his daughter's playhouse, he mistakes him for a creep and has him roughed up before throwing him into a cell.
- New Old West: The part of the story that takes place on Laastekist plays out like Rio Bravo, resulting in this.
- Percussive Prevention: When the sheriff of Laastekist lets Frank out of the cell, he knocks him out so he's out of the line of fire.
- Searching the Stalls: A bunch of mafia mooks hide in the bathroom. Punisher is not sure which stall contains what, so he shoots through all of them.
- The Siege: Last part of the story has sheriff Bendix and Frank taking refuge in an abandoned winter lodge against the rest of the bad guys.
- Taking You with Me: When the last criminal in the skyscraper trap points out to Frank that they are the only ones left alive and they can both just walk away now, Frank thinks otherwise and lets go off the dead man's switch, bringing the building down.
- We Will Meet Again: Agent Blackwell gloats to Frank that, since he has a code against killing cops and the like, he's never going to be rid of him since he is technically an officer of the law. However, Frank knows that Blackwell is a total bastard, and blows him away.