is a biting satire of superheroes comics from artist Don Simpson
that started in 1984. The series (and its sister title, Bizarre Heroes
) has been published by several companies over the years, including Kitchen Sink Press
, Image Comics
, Simpson's own company Fiasco, and had a stint as a webcomic and even appeared in Asylum
, an anthology comic published by Rob Liefeld
. . Some old strips, plus a post-9-11
-related storyline that Simpson completed and then sat on for over a decade can be found at the official blog
This series provides examples of:
- Captain Ersatz: Magaton Man himself is a combination of Captain Marvel (He has a "magic word", though his is "Overkill" instead of "Shazam"), Superman (Reporter alter ego with a pathetically transparent disguise) and basically every single over-muscled strongman hero, dialed Up to Eleven.
- Catch Phrase: "WOO!"
- Distaff Counterpart: Ms. Megaton Man.
- Dueling Comic Series: Even though Megaton Man came first, he was often compared to The Tick: big, blue, dumb, lantern jawed superhero parody with a cult following.
- Jungle Princess: Phantom Jungle Girl.
- Crossover: With The Savage Dragon, as well as normalman (the latter crossover also featured appearances by everyone from Bone to Mr. Spook to Madman to Flaming Carrot to Groo The Wanderer). Wolff and Byrd, Counselors of the Macabre, also made a guest appearance in the webcomic incarnation of Megaton Man.