Comic Book: Heroes Return
is a storyline of The Avengers
, with the reunification of the team after Heroes Reborn
All those who were once Avengers, everywhere around the world, are suddenly attacked by Asgardian creatures, who vanish at the same time. Iron Man, Captain America, Giant Man and the Wasp met at the mansion to discuss what was going on; Thor (whose wereabouts were still unknown) appears there as well, announcing a great crisis. All the former Avengers are summoned, and Thor explains that all living being in Asgard had dissapeared by unknown reasons. But Thor noticed a bigger problem: the giant sword of the Ragnarok was missing, as well as the Norn stones. The Avengers divided in 4 groups to search for the stones and the sword. It was revealed to be a plot of Morgan Le Fey and Mordred, who manipulated the Avengers to sent teams in order to capture the Scarlet Witch, and then be able to exploit her magic to be able to use the sword to reshape reality.
In the new reality, Morgan Le Fey is the absolute king of a world in the middle ages. The Avengers are now the "Queen's vengueance", their suits, powers and origins are redesigned for the middle ages, and they are brainwashed into being the Queen's servants. The Scarlet Witch is the exception: she is still herself, and she's kept chained in a cell. She begins to use her magic to summon help, and had some success: the "Infant America" (Captain America) recovers his memory. He forces "Long Bow" (Hawkeye) to remember, and they begin to try to make the others remember as well. But the spell is strong, and not all of them remember their real lives. After a big fight, the awaken Avengers (Captain America, Hawkeye, Thor, Photon, the Wasp, Quasar and Justice) escape to the forest. And the Scarlet Witch finally summons Wonder Man back from the dead, who liberated her.
The Avengers return to the castle, and another fight begins. The Scarlet Witch shows up as well, and begins a magic duel with Morgana. But Morgana is stronger... until Wonder Man shows up again. And, with her attention focused on the 2 threats, all the members of the "Queen's vengueance" begin to recover their memories, and add their forces to Wanda's. She's finally defeated, and the world returns to normal.
Heroes Return contains examples of:
- Back from the Dead: Wonder Man. And this time it's for real.
- Big "NO!": At Morgan's defeat
- A Glitch in the Matrix: The second issue began with one, as Donnar (=Thor) was realizing that many things were not right.
- He's Back: The Avengers are back in business
- "I Know You're in There Somewhere" Fight: And a successful one
- Mythology Gag: At the end of the story the team is back in business, with all its former members. Citing the Angel, the Beast asked "What are we going to do with 39 Avengers?". That's a similar ending than the one of Giant Size X-Men, when the old team (Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Iceman, Angel, Havok and Polaris) was rescued by a new team organized by Xavier (Wolverine, Banshee, Colossus, Storm, Nightcrawler, Sunfire and Thunderbird). (Incidentally, Beast only made a cameo in that story because he was with the Avengers at the time.)
- Na´ve Newcomer: Justice (of the New Warriors, he shouldn't even be there, he accompained Rage because he was with him when attacked). Thor explained the Asgardian attacks, and that someone stole the sword and the norn stones... and Justice pointed that it must be a trap. Everybody looked at him with disdain. "Oh, of course it's a trap. You already knew it. I'm sorry. Can I die now, please?"
- Not His Sled: With the Asgardian creatures, the mistery over the fate of the asgardians and the magic involved, many may have believed that the villain would turn out to be Loki (the villain of the first issue of the Avengers). The characters suspected it a pair of times. But he was not.
- Oh, No... Not Again!:
- Refusal of the Call: Reed Richards, Sue Storm and Ben Grimm had all been Avengers at some point, but were busy with things of the Fantastic Four. And Hulk... he had been attacked by Trolls, and was not in the mood for meeting others. Spider-Man (a reserve member at the time) appeared at the meeting, but asked to leave because he had problems in his own titles to deal with.
- Something We Forgot: The fate of the Asgardians was not investigated, the Sword and the Norn stones were more important at the moment. Thor would investigate that other topic at his relaunched comic book.
- Team Hand Stack: When the original Avengers agreed to fight toguether with Thor.
- The Power of Love: That's what allowed the Scarlet Witch to bring Wonder Man back from the dead.
- Universal-Adaptor Cast: The big point of the adventure, besides the return itself, was to turn the Avengers into medieval characters.
- You Have Failed Me: The Scarlet Witch escaped, rescued by Wonder Man, and her jailer was not present at the moment. As a result, he has no idea of what happened. Morgana turned him into a pulp, as he is of no use to her.