Comic Book: Deadly Class
Deadly Class is a comic co-created by Rick Remender, of X-Force fame and Wes Craig. Lee Loughridge acts as the Colorist and Rus Wooton as the letterer.Marcus Lopez is a homeless Nicaraguan teenager living on the streets of San Francisco. His parents are dead and he's being hunted by the local police force. That is until he's saved by Saya and her plucky band of assassins. Marcus is then given the option of staying on the streets and eventually dying or joining King’s Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts and learn to become an assassin.Deadly Class is a relatively new series published by Image Comics and is published in a monthly format. The humor is off the wall and dark, the characters are interesting and the story is only just beginning.
This Comic contains examples of:
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: The homeless man who attempts to steal Marcus's shoes.
- Axe Crazy: Averted. Most of the characters are not fond of killing at all.
- Badass Adorable: Averted with Willie. Turns out his uncle killed the assailants that struck his father and made it appear that Willie was the hero.
- Subverted in universe as most other characters still assume that he is a badass.
- Badass Mustache: Master Lin◊
- Blind Alley: Averted. There are more pursuers checking the alleys.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Marcus after taking six tabs of acid.
- Come with Me If You Want to Live: Introduction of Saya as a Biker Babe.
- Dream Sequence: Marcus remembering the death of his parents is portrayed as this.
- Driven to Suicide: Marcus
- Interrupted Suicide: Thanks to Saya.
- The '80s: The first arc is set in 1987, and the second will begin in 1988.
- Gallows Humor
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Marcus
- Parental Abandonment: Implied with Saya.
- Soft Glass: Subverted. Jumping foot-first onto a moving car is actually a plausible way to break it.
- These Hands Have Killed: Implied to be Saya's response after killing the officer in #1.
- Averted with Marcus and then played straight in # 4-5 when he thinks that he's going to jail.
- Viva Las Vegas: The first real arc is this. However, the plot focuses on Marcus trying to survive two killers who are out for him.