Comic Book / Deadly Class
is a comic co-created by Rick Remender, of X-Force
fame and Wes Craig. Lee Loughridge acts as the Colorist and Rus Wooton as the letterer.
Marcus Lopez is a homeless Nicaraguan teenager living on the streets of San Francisco. His parents are dead
and he's being hunted by the local police force. That is until he's saved by Saya
and her plucky band of assassins
. Marcus is then given the option of staying on the streets and eventually dying or joining King’s Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts
and learn to become an assassin.
Deadly Class is a relatively new series published by Image Comics
and is published in a monthly format. The humor is off the wall and dark, the characters are interesting and the story is only just beginning.
This comic contains examples of:
- Academy of Evil: Poison, decapitation, ritual murder, and lockpicking are all in the curriculum
- Anyone Can Die: Chico, Maria & fuckface (who was hyped to be a very important villain). Not surprise considering who is writing. It doesn't stop there during the Freshmen Finals, Willie, Billy, Kendall, and even Marcus die.
- Ax-Crazy: Averted. Most of the characters are not fond of killing at all. Then played straight during the Freshman Finals where people are killing off there own classmates for credit regardless if they are in their clique or their significant other.
- Badass Adorable: Averted with Willie. Turns out his uncle killed the assailants that struck his father and made it appear that Willie was the hero.Maria especially when she was a little girl.
- Subverted in universe as most other characters still assume that he is a badass.
- Badass Mustache: Master Lin◊
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Fuckface really loves animals
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Shabnam seemed like an okay person if a little needy but as it turns out he is a Manipulative Bastard who digs dirt on other students and play The Chessmaster during the Freshmen Finals
- Blind Alley: Averted. There are more pursuers checking the alleys.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Marcus after taking six tabs of acid.
- Come with Me If You Want to Live: Introduction of Saya as a Biker Babe.
- Dream Sequence: Marcus remembering the death of his parents is portrayed as this.
- Driven to Suicide: Marcus
- The '80s: The first arc is set in 1987, and the second will begin in 1988.
- Gallows Humor
- Goth Girls Know Magic: While not magic Petra is very good at making poison.
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Marcus dent.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Saya is very skilled with one.
- Parental Abandonment: Implied with Saya.
- Sex, Drugs and Rock & Roll: This is the The '80s after all
- Soft Glass: Subverted. Jumping foot-first onto a moving car is actually a plausible way to break it.
- These Hands Have Killed: Implied to be Saya's response after killing the officer in #1.
- Averted with Marcus and then played straight in # 4-5 when he thinks that he's going to jail.
- Tyke Bomb: This is a series about teenagers going to school for assassins.
- Viva Las Vegas: The first real arc is this. However, the plot focuses on Marcus trying to survive two killers who are out for him.