Comic Book / Deadly Class
is a comic co-created by Rick Remender, of X-Force
fame and Wes Craig. Lee Loughridge acts as the Colorist and Rus Wooton as the letterer.
Marcus Lopez is a homeless Nicaraguan teenager living on the streets of San Francisco. His parents are dead
and he's being hunted by the local police force. That is until he's saved by Saya
and her plucky band of assassins
. Marcus is then given the option of staying on the streets and eventually dying or joining King’s Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts
and learn to become an assassin.
Deadly Class is a relatively new series published by Image Comics
and is published in a monthly format. The humor is off the wall and dark, the characters are interesting and the story is only just beginning.
This Comic contains examples of:
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: The homeless man who attempts to steal Marcus's shoes.
- Anyone Can Die: Chico, Maria & fuckface (who was hyped to be a very important villain). Not surprise considering who is writing.
- Axe Crazy: Averted. Most of the characters are not fond of killing at all.
- Badass Adorable: Averted with Willie. Turns out his uncle killed the assailants that struck his father and made it appear that Willie was the hero.
- Subverted in universe as most other characters still assume that he is a badass.
- Badass Mustache: Master Lin◊
- Blind Alley: Averted. There are more pursuers checking the alleys.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Marcus after taking six tabs of acid.
- Come with Me If You Want to Live: Introduction of Saya as a Biker Babe.
- Deconstruction: Of the Academy of Adventure genre where kids are admitted to schools to learn how to fight and become badasses. King's Dominion picks up students based on their track record & mentality. Most of them are either stray orphans or children of crime bosses sent by their parents. And after starting the classes they are given assignment to kill someone. Naturally, the students also suffer side effects of these jobs and are involved in activities like drug abuse with nothing to stop them from self destruction. Their graduation exam involves the orphans being hunted by the children of gang lords & in order to graduate they need not to get killed off.
- Dream Sequence: Marcus remembering the death of his parents is portrayed as this.
- Driven to Suicide: Marcus
- The '80s: The first arc is set in 1987, and the second will begin in 1988.
- Gallows Humor
- I Just Want to Have Friends: Marcus
- Parental Abandonment: Implied with Saya.
- Soft Glass: Subverted. Jumping foot-first onto a moving car is actually a plausible way to break it.
- These Hands Have Killed: Implied to be Saya's response after killing the officer in #1.
- Averted with Marcus and then played straight in # 4-5 when he thinks that he's going to jail.
- Viva Las Vegas: The first real arc is this. However, the plot focuses on Marcus trying to survive two killers who are out for him.