Comicbook: Dark Riders
Dark Riders is a comic written by Mike Costa with art by Neil Googe, set in the Warcraft Expanded Universe. It was originally planned as a sequel miniseries to the World Of Warcraft Comic, went through Development Hell, and was released in 2013 as a graphic novel. Blizzard employee Mickey Neilson has called the comic something of a prequel to Curse of the Worgen.The story of Dark Riders follows the mage Karlain and priest Revil Kost as they search for stolen magical artifacts and Karlain's missing son Mardigan. Along the way they are joined by Brink, a gnome rogue, and Ambrose, a member of the Night's Watch militia. They run into the eponymous Dark Riders, who have been terrorizing the kingdom of Stormwind for years and hoarding artifacts within Karazhan.
This graphic novel contains examples of:
- Badass Preacher: Revil is in very good shape for a caster, and is seen using his mace quite often.
- Continuity Nod: Brink mentions giving the Scythe of Elune to a night elf, most likely Valorn, the one who delivered it to Gilneas in Curse of the Worgen.
- The worgen also refer to their master, Alpha Prime, and are seen going through the same Wolf Cult initiation ritual from Curse of the Worgen.
- Crusading Widower: Revil's family was killed by worgen.
- Evil Tower of Ominousness: Karazhan is the setting for the last third or so of the story.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: The worgen and Wolf Cult play a role, it's Duskwood after all. Mardigan becomes one as well.
- Rape as Backstory: None of the main characters exactly, but part of Karlain's backstory is him killing his wife's rapist and his wife dying in the crossfire.
- The Reveal: The identity of the Riders, which has been a mystery since World of Warcraft first launched: They were humans who attempted to sell false magical artifacts to Medivh. Medivh (who was possessed by Sargeras at the time) cursed them to forever hunt for true magical artifacts in his name and bring them to Karazhan.
- Sinister Scythe: At least one Dark Rider uses one. The Scythe of Elune, the source of the worgen, also makes an appearance.
- The Stoic: Karlain appears this way...
- Not So Stoic: ..But when he gets mad, he gets mad.