The Perry Bible Fellowship
is a newspaper comic strip/webcomic by Nicholas Gurewitch. It's notable for its black, surrealist humour
. It specializes in juxtaposing whimsical settings
with morbid subject matter
. It's kind of like the Far Side
, except with cutesier art and more murder.
Most of the tropes it encounters, it subverts. Art Shifts
are frequent; it goes for either a very intricate or very simplistic art style, depending on the joke. Has a habit of Crossing the Line Twice
, and sometimes three or four times. At some point, it will probably ruin your childhood. Maybe your adulthood, too.Perry Bible Fellowship: The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories
, a reprint of the original webcomic and additional artwork, won the 2008 Eisner Comic Book Industry Award for Best Humor Publication. The comic is currently on semi-hiatus, and updates every once in a blue moon.
Compare Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
This webcomic contains examples of:
Specific strips contain examples (usually subversions) of:
- Absurdly-Spacious Sewer: Secret Mutant Hero Team
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: Automatic Business◊
- All Your Powers Combined: Features a Deconstruction of this, in this◊ comic.
- After the End: Post Apocalyptic◊
- Animal Nemesis: Mocked.◊
- Ass in a Lion Skin: A halfway literal example.
- Badass Preacher: Preach Skate◊
- Base Breaker: Skub, in-universe.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Subverted with "Disgusting Ted".◊
- "Blind Idiot" Translation: You guys sock.◊
- But What About the Astronauts?: Space Disaster◊.
- Captain Ersatz: In this parody of Punch-Out!!◊
- Carnivore Confusion: See me after class, Pete.◊
- Charlie and the Chocolate Parody: The Golden Ticket◊ (note the Art Shift to Quentin Blake)
- Clown Car: In the strip "Honk".
- Combining Mecha: Guntron--fire!◊
- The Computer Is Your Friend: Truancy bot◊, though not very apt.
- Cool Uncle: Crazy Uncle Duncan.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Durab Inc.◊
- Cosmetic Catastrophe: "The other girls◊ can see vhat ze hell zhey are doing!"
- Creator Breakdown: "Catch Phrase" seems to have been an example of one — it was the last strip uploaded, and when updates resumed it was removed. (To be exact, it's about a silly kid's show host repeating his stupid catch phrase over and over until he finally commits suicide, and is only remembered for that.)
- Creepy Souvenir: Or Memorabilia...
- Cruel Twist Ending: Gone from bad to worse.◊
- Deface of the Moon: The Schlorbians Strike Again◊
- Depraved Kids' Show Host: "Catch Phrase" (The host committed suicide after being dogged by his silly Catch Phrase — which was then engraved on his tombstone.)
- Egg MacGuffin: Baby.◊
- Everything's Precious with Puppies: Happy Birthday, Miggs◊.
- Eye Beams: Fun Bot is screwed.◊
- The Face of the Sun: Here◊
- Fantastic Racism: Here◊
- Finger in the Mail: After Colonel Sweeto is outed as a chocolate spy, the Chocolate Kingdom receives a box containing his "nut".◊
- Food Fight: Here.◊
- From Bad to Worse: Poor Martha's orphanage◊
- Future Imperfect: Now Showing◊
- Gag Penis: Sell your soul for one!◊
- Gallows Humor: Literal example.◊
- Gone Horribly Right: Hugbot is adorable.
- Hollywood History: Now Showing◊
- Homage: We wish it didn't, but there are ones to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory◊, Family Circus◊, The Mario Brothers◊, Edward Gorey◊, and The Giving Tree (The Unforgiving Tree, now removed from the main site).
- Horrible Judge of Character: Kinder Interview◊
- Inevitable Waterfall: Raft Friends◊
- Inkblot Test: Psychoanalyst◊
- Interspecies Romance: Bacon Egg◊ and Not Today Little One◊. Also Different.
- Jumping Out of a Cake: Here◊.
- Lilliputian Warriors: Intruders approach! Release the Agronox!◊
- Lolicon: Disgusting Ted◊
- Make a Wish: The Wishing Well◊
- Medium Blending: Keep on Truckin'...◊
- Mental Picture Projector: The Dreamcatcher 3000◊
- Merit Badges For Everything: Boy Scouts◊
- Mind Screw: Seriously! What the heck did just happened?◊
- Missing Episode: About 62 strips are currently missing from the site's archivenote
- The Mirror Shows Your True Self: Parents just don't understand, even undead ones.
- Mood Whiplash: The comic itself, but "Carolyn" has zero humor.
- Moon Rabbit: That must be one big rabbit◊
- Not in Front of the Parrot: Boss◊
- Or Was It a Dream?: In which you are falling◊.
- Out with a Bang: One Time Thing
- Pædo Hunt: Lampshaded to hilariously depressing effect.◊
- Panty Shot: Stiff Breeze◊
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Unicorn
- Passing the Torch: Passed On◊!
- Perspective Flip: Mean Old Farmer Brown!◊
- Police Lineup: In one of the gangster strips◊.
- Poor Communication Kills: Bee◊
- Porn Stash: Passed On◊
- Portal Book: Book World.◊
- Power Perversion Potential: Doll Change
- The Power of Love: In Bunny Pit◊
- Precision F-Strike: "Barry. Shut the fuck◊ up...seriously."
- Puppy-Dog Eyes: Sometimes works◊, sometimes not◊.
- Reset Button: Literally.◊
- Robotic Reveal: Casting Call◊
- Rouge Angles of Satin: Subverted.◊
- Say My Name: NUUÑÑÑEZZZ!!!◊
- Serious Business: Car seats are.◊
- Shapeshifting Squick: In the comic "Eden", God takes the form of Adam and engages in sex with Eve, who does not know that she is not doing it with Adam. Adam calls out "Honey?" upon seeing what is happening.
- She Is All Grown Up: b◊
- Skewed Priorities: Super League◊ knows what's really important.
- Snow Means Love (and Death too): Hey Goat, I love this girl!◊
- Space X: Zarflax◊
- Splash of Color: Gamblin Man◊
- Sugar Apocalypse: Ho, I nearly forgot!
- Sugar Bowl: Suicide Train◊
- Suicidal Gotcha: Played with here◊
- Symbol Swearing: Eggnancy◊
- The Tetris Effect: How it can affect your organization.◊
- That Cloud Looks Like: Not today, little one◊
- Things That Go Bump in the Night: Bed Monster◊
- Timmy in a Well: Or a burning building, rather.◊
- Trade Snark: Gigaknight.
- Train-Station Goodbye: Goodbye, Stanley.◊
- Transforming Mecha: Refridgeron and Magnimus◊ (another strip featuring the two here◊)
- Trapped in TV Land: Not the best idea to explore a messed up fictional world.◊
- Vagina Dentata: Funny◊, but NSFW.
- Virginity Flag: This strip◊.
- What Measure Is a Non-Cute?:
- What's a Henway?: Apparently you can get eye surgery for seeing too much.
- When Trees Attack: The Unforgiving Tree.