On the Fastrack
is a comic strip by Bill Holbrook
, launched by King Features Syndicate in 1984. Its tech-centered humor is set in the offices of Fastrack, Inc, a company that stores all of the world's data. It stars Wendy Welding, the executive assistant of the CEO and the person who actually keeps things running.
This comic contains examples of:
- Bad Boss: Rose Trellis, most of the time. And despite her business savvy, she sometimes veers to Pointy-Haired Boss.
- Breakout Character: Dethany Dendrobia. Wendy Welding.
- Character Blog: Dethany tweets. Bud used to have a weekly blog.
- Child Prodigy: Every major kid in the comic.
- Floral Theme Naming: Rose Trellis and Thornton Saguaro.
- Freaky Fashion, Mild Mind: Dethany.
- The Hecate Sisters: Fastrack is run by the trio of CEO Rose Trellis (crone), her executive assistant Wendy Welding (the working mom) and (the maiden) Dethany Dendrobia.
- Immortality: The computer bugs.
- Inside a Computer System: The action often moves there.
- May-December Romance: The marriage of Mark (younger) and Ada (older). The Fact that Ada is black and Mark is white is less controversial.
- Meaningful Name: Everyone has at least one.
- Nerd: Bud Spore is the most glaring example.
- No Periods, Period: Averted. Patina Welding gets her first one, much to her father's embarrassment.
- Our Dragons Are Different: The Moat Monster is rarely even identified as a dragon, though she certainly has the key trappings of one. One difference is her Shapeshifting.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Thrip is now a data vampire.
- Out of Focus: Bob Shirt, former protagonist.
- An intentional example. According to the creator, the character "turned out to be so boring that the strip survived only by moving the spotlight away from him."
- Perky Goth: Dethany Dendrobia.
- Right Behind Me: A mild example.
- Shared Universe: With Safe Havens. Havens' main character, Samantha, has a standing job offer from Rose (whom Samantha's father works for).
- Superheroes Wear Capes: iPatina's cyber-superhero cape looks like a cursor.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Rose isn't as bad as she used to be — barely. This may be an example of Pragmatic Villainy.
- Wretched Hive: The Malware Cafe is explicitly called a "wretched hive of scum and villainy."