Comic Strip: Between The Lines
"Between The Lines" is a newspaper comic by Max Garcia. The strip only runs in the New York Daily News. It is a one-panel gag-a-day strip in the style of The Far Side, but horribly abuses Black Comedy, even more than The Far Side, to the point where it sometimes seems like Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal toned down just enough to be a newspaper comic. The strip started February 27, 2011 and has not stopped since (except for a hiatus that occurred between the dates of May 28, 2012 and June 11, 2012). A small Strip Archive is on this Facebook page, and a blog (started by a troper on This Very Wiki, who also started this page) is dedicated to MSTing it.In April 2013, the strip was snydicated on GoComics under the bizarre title Sunny Street, and Max started a blog where he talks about various, unrelated, subject matters.NOT to be confused with the webcomic. Or the TV show. Or Between the Lions.
- Black Comedy: Every other strip.
- Butter Face: A strip has a man with margarine for a head looking at one with a canister with this trope name on her head, only for her glasses to come off and reveal it as "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter Face".
- Fake Rabies: There was a depressing strip where a dog had just finished eating some honey offered to him by a cat. The owners then think he's rabid, and the last panel shows the dog's tombstone as the cat smirks smugly.
- GIS Syndrome: While Max has always used Google images, they've become a replacement for backgrounds starting in 2014.
- High On Catnip: One strip shows a cat buying a sack of catnip from another, shady-looking cat, in the style of drug-dealing.
- I Call It "Vera": One strip has a brutal thug taking out a knife labeled "Kindness", with a crowd of people laughing and one saying "Yeah right! What are you gonna kill us with?
- Prison Rape: Strongly implied in one strip showing a tooth looking at another one who just dropped his toothpaste in a prison shower.
- Refuge in Audacity: Some of the really unfunny Black Comedy gags could count.