A comic book series written by Chris Wyall and illustrated by Ashley Wood. After the Zombie Apocalypse, humanity is extinct and only zombies and robots remain. Robots seek to protect the last human baby from zombies craving the last human brain on Earth. All the robots end up infected by the zombie virus except for Bertie, a gun-toting robot designed to fight zombies. ZVR is followed up with Zombies vs. Robots vs. Amazons, in which Bertie joins up with four young Amazons to fight more zombies.After that, there's Zombies vs. Robots Aventure, a trilogy of short comic stories that shows the history of the apocalyptic world the original stories take place in. The first is "Kampf", in which a soldier's son gets turned into a human-robot hybrid. Next is "Maques", in which a janitor converts service robots into zombie-fighters. Finally, there's "Zuvembies vs. Robots", where a Voodoo priest tries to create his own zombie horde to fight the zombie apocalypse.IDW has since published several more comics and prose Short Stories based on the ZVR universe.Movie rights have been purchased by Sony and Michael Bay has been hired to co-produce.
This series provides examples of:
- After the End
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: System, create by hacker Pammi Shaw, was originally a database of knowledge and companion for her in the deserted UnderCity. As her blog posts show, Pammi eventually comes to worship System and follow its advice unquestioningly. System is later viewed as a god by the Amazons.
- Amazon Brigade: The Amazons
- Cool Versus Awesome: Zombies vs. Robots! And supernatural monsters such as vampires also appear!
- Crisis Crossover: Inspired IDW Publishing's first, Infestation. Once a vampire is infected by a zombie, the "square undead" factor enables her to break into other realities published by IDW - namely, Transformers, G.I. Joe, Ghostbusters and Star Trek.
- Insufferable Genius: The team of scientists that first cause the zombie apocalypse.
- Knight Templar: Bertie is pretty single-mindedly programmed to kill zombies.
- Nuke 'em: Bertie's initial solution to the zombie-filled world. It doesn't work.
- Sequel Hook: ZVR ends with an Amazon skewering a zombie while ZVRVA ends with the appearance of mermen.
- Stable Time Loop: A scientist experimenting with Time Travel goes into the future and gets infected with the zombie virus, which he brings back to the present, causing the apocalypse that he saw.
- Zombie Apocalypse