Comic Book / WWE Superstars
is a Comic Book series written by Mick Foley
. It starred members of the WWE
in Alternate Universe
settings, though most of them retain aspects of their WWE Personae. The first issue was released in December 2013, and the comic consisted of self-contained story arcs spanning 4 issues each.
The last issue printed as part of a comic book serial was #12, released in February 2015. The twelve issues were collected into a series of graphic novels, one for each arc, and one final graphic novel depicting an After the End
story for the Legends Arc
was printed before the series was ended.
- Money in the Bank (Issues 1-4): Titan City: a metropolis where everyone's hiding secrets and there's no one to trust. In a corrupt world where everyone is looking to cash in, we'll follow the journey of three men... John Cena's been framed for a crime he didn't commit. Randy Orton's on the verge of achieving citywide power. And CM Punk is determined to bring the whole corrupt system crashing down. From the scheming Southside to the barren desert no man's land where even the law refuses to go, the powerful factions of Titan City are locked in a battle for control in an unforgettable noir landscape.
- Haze Of Glory (Issues 5-8): Monday Night Raw is chaos. The WWE Championship is missing. Announce tables are destroyed. John Cena is handcuffed to Mark Henry. Ring ropes are snapped in half. Three Superstars are to blame - CM Punk, Daniel Bryan, and Rey Mysterio. The problem is, none of them remember a thing!. Now they must retrace their steps over the past few hours to uncover how they could possibly be responsible for such wanton damage and save their jobs with Triple H and the McMahons.
- Legends (Issues 9-12): The Ultimate WWE Crossover! WWE Superstars of today and WWE Legends of the past engage in insane battles across the WWE Universe. From Daniel Bryan to "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, from Hulk Hogan to John Cena, from Undertaker to The Rock. All these Superstars and more are forced into constant combat—all while trying to figure out how and why they find themselves in constant mayhem across a myriad of bizarre battlefields. But just when they think they know the answers, one superstar changes all the questions: The Hot Rod, "Rowdy" Roddy Piper enters the fray!
- Last Man Standing (Graphic Novel): In the aftermath of the epic war amongst the current WWE Superstars and WWE Legends, most of the WWE Universe has returned to normal. But an eclectic group including Shawn Michaels, Dolph Ziggler, British Bulldog, Roman Reigns, and Bruno Sammartino have been left behind to face the dangers of a desolated battleground. Michaels and Reigns must unite their team if all are to survive their deadly situation and uncover a way off the planet. But Bray Wyatt has plans of his own and has recruited the likes of Brock Lesnar, Larry Zbysko, Cesaro and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine to his insane cause - one that calls for the elimination of anyone who won't swear allegiance to his ways.
Tropes In Use
- Aborted Arc: There were plans to create a follow-up Graphic Novel to Money In The Bank, as well as a Graphic Novel based on The Undertaker, but they were dropped when the series was ended after the fourth Graphic Novel.
- Action Girl: AJ Lee and The Bella Twins in Money In The Bank.
- A.I. Is a Crapshoot: A digitized version of the brain of Bobby Heenan is responsible for the events of Legends.
- Amoral Attorney: Randy Orton takes this role in his efforts to become the D.A. of Titan City while also running the Titan City Mafia in Money In The Bank.
- Arc Words: "Victory or Pacification" in Legends.
- Bound and Gagged: AJ Lee is kidnapped by The Bella Twins in Money in the Bank and tied to a chair with rope.
- Broken Base: In Universe: In Money in the Bank, half the city believes John Cena is just another good guy screwed by the system, while the other half believe he's a Fallen Hero.
- Chained Heat: Issue 2 ends with both John Cena and Randy Orton captured by the Wyatt Family, and tied together.
- Clear My Name: In Money in the Bank, John Cena has to find the missing briefcase to prove his innocence after being framed for the theft.
- Dark Horse Victory: In Money in the Bank, thanks to the machinations of CM Punk and those who work with him, Daniel Bryan is elected as the new D.A. of Titan City instead of Randy Orton or Alberto Del Rio.
- Dirty Cop: In Money in the Bank, The Shield. Also Zeb Colter and his boys.
- Double Reverse Quadruple Agent: AJ Lee seems to be working every side in Money in the Bank. Thought it's ultimately revealed that she's the one who stole the money.
- Femme Fatale: The Bella Twins. "If evil incarnate were twin sisters it would look like Nikki and Brie."
- Hidden in Plain Sight: AJ Lee stole the money in Money in the Bank, and hid it in the Apex Community Center ductwork, effectively hiding the money in Randy Orton's house.
- Police Are Useless: CM Punk seems to believe so in Money in the Bank.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: Dean Ambrose ends up teaming up with Goldust, Stardust, Doink the Clown, The Gobbledy Gooker, and The Bunny/Diamond Dallas Page in Last Man Standing.
- Reverse Mole: In Last Man Standing, Brock Lesnar is pretending to work for Bray Wyatt while really answering to Jake The Snake Roberts
- Shout-Out: Numerous shout-outs are made to the character's WWE personae or former personae.
- The Miz is a news reporter for Miz T.V.
- Rey Mysterio is a masked vigilante who is never seen without his mask.
- CM Punk says "Kane can be your friend. Kane can be your enemy. Kane can even be your dentist. Doesn't matter." This is a Call-Back to Kane's former persona as Issac Yankem, the wrestling dentist.
- Slipping a Mickey: In Haze Of Glory, Paul Heyman tricks Santino Marella into serving punch spiked with cold medicine to Rey Mysterio, CM Punk, and Daniel Bryan.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork:
- Randy Orton works together with fellow D.A. aspirant Alberto Del Rio to build a community center in Money in the Bank. It's all to make him a Villain with Good Publicity.
- Randy Orton is also forced to work together with John Cena in order to escape from The Wyatt Family.
- Vigilante Man: In Money in the Bank, CM Punk, with his "Take Back The City" plans. Also The Shield. Rey Mysterio as well.
- What Did I Do Last Night?: The second arc, Haze of Glory, sets this up for CM Punk, Rey Mysterio, and Daniel Bryan.
- Wrestler in All of Us: Naturally, a lot of the action in this comic are the characters using their wrestling moves against others.