Comic Book: Therefore, Repent!
Therefore, Repent! is a post-rapture graphic novel. Since the rapture, humans have begun manifesting strange supernatural powers, albeit with some side effects. The main characters are Mummy and Raven, who have just moved to Chicago from Canada and are getting settled in.In stark contrast to Left Behind, the people trying to get on God's good side believing themselves to be a tribulation force, along with God and the angels, are the villains, who are called "splitters", while the heroes are the "immoral majority", trying to adapt to life without Christians as angels are going around randomly murdering people. Also has a sequel, Sword Of My Mouth.
- An Aesop/Writer on Board: Urban organic farming gets promoted as a means of fighting the system in the sequel.
- Anarchy Is Chaos: Averted. The remaining people on earth form tight-knit communities, even without leaders or law enforcement.
- Becoming the Costume: Raven takes off her mask to reveal that she now has the head of an actual raven.
- Black Magic: At first, a lot of people fear magic as an evil force, and it doesn't help that it mutates people and that the angels kill everyone who openly uses it.Subverted at the end, where Mummy explains that magic is perfectly natural and that people were supposed to use it.
- Black Shirt: The Splitters
- Dark Is Not Evil: All of the people left behind and especially those that can use magic.
- Epileptic Tree: In-universe example: Mummy speculates that the angels are really an Alien Invasion, just using religious trappings as a way to infiltrate our society.
- God Is Evil: A lot of people begin to believe this, what with angels rounding up people and killing them. At the very end, this is subverted when Raven and Mummy find that magic was always supposed to exist, and speculate that the angels have nothing to do with God.
- The Grotesque side effect of using magic
- Hermetic Magic
- Holier Than Thou: Splitters, in contrast with Left Behind's Flat Earth Atheist villains.
- Knight Templar: The Angels.
- La Résistance
- The Magic Comes Back: Magic was always supposed to exist on Earth, but an anti-magic field prevented anyone from using it. That field disappeared for unknown reasons, and now everyone can use it. In fact, this is why the Rapture happened. All of the people caught in the Rapture were actually just levitating themselves (into space!) by accident.
- Post-Modern Magik
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits
- Real Person Cameo: George W. Bush appears on TV in an interview with "Mr. Christ." Still a bit ironic that he gets left behind.
- Take That: Against the Left Behind series.
- Talking Animal: Dogs learn to speak human languages when he tear out and eat the larynx of a dead human. This becomes a brief problem for Raven and Mummy's dog when Gerry accidentally revives the person whose voice he stole.
- Urban Fantasy