Everyone knows about how the atomic bomb was made, how America brought together the worlds greatest scientists. But did they know that the bomb was just the least of many Manhattan Projects?
An Image series written by Jonathan Hickman and illustrated by Nick Pitarra, The Manhattan Projects
features Oppenheimer, Daghlian, Von Braun, Richard Feynman
, and Albert Einstein
as they fight zen-powered robots, meet aliens, and discover wormholes. It is a bizarre series to say the least.
This series provides example of:
- Alternate History
- Artificial Intelligence: Thanks in part by using FDR's dead body.
- Brotherhood of Funny Hats: Truman is a mason.
- Badass: With a cast of maniacs and mad scientists, nearly every character qualifies. Special mention must be made of General Westmoreland, who kills a mutant superweapon made from bits and pieces of alien monsters, armed with only a bowie knife and a bald eagle tattoo
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Oppenheimer
- Evil Twin: Joseph Oppenheimer, and Albrecht Einstein.
- Freak Lab Accident: The reason why Daghlian wears a Clingy Costume.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Joseph Oppenheimer.
- Knight Templar: Gen. Grover.
- Mecha-Mooks: The Kamikaze Killing Machine
- Narcissist: Feyman
- Noodle Incident: Due to its subject matter, there are more than a couple, but the first issue contains this awe-inspiring reference from General Groves:
"Ever since the success of Pearl Harbor, the emperor and his warlords have gotten extremely aggressive. We're even having to check every ream of paper that's delivered to critical government offices after last month's sentient origami incident. I saw the bodies, Doctor... Paper cuts are no way for a man to meet his maker."
- Split Personality: Joseph Oppenheimer.
- Stupid Jetpack Hitler: von Braun and his robotic arm.
- Verbal Tic: Oppenheimer's repeated "Hmmmmmmm!"