Comic Book: Salvation Run
A tie in comic to Countdown to Final Crisis
, and Final Crisis
itself. The Government has taken all of the earth supervillains and exiled them to another planet. Here they have to band together in order to survive the harsh environment, and the strange techno-biological creatures who seem intent on killing them. Among those sent are The Rogues
after killing Bart Allen
, the Secret Society of Supervillains after attacking a wedding
, and dozens others. Tempers flare and lines are drawn between factions, as the battle to stay alive wages. Soon, the villains are divided into Two factions, one to survive on the planet (led by The Joker
) the other to find a way off (led by Lex Luthor
This series contains examples of:
- An Ice Person: Captain Cold, Mr. Freeze, and Killer Frost all appear.
- Bald of Evil: Lex Luthor
- Berserk Button: Scandal Savage threatened to cut off Bolt's hand if he ever tried to grab her ass again.
- Butt Monkey: Mr. Terrible can't catch a break.
- The Caligula: When the Joker gets his own camp he becomes this. Dismissing Bolt's insistence that the camp needs food.
- Camp Gay: Monsieur Mallah
- Commander Contrarian: Sivana always detracts from Luthor. He continues to criticize him, and bemoans the fact that they're going to die. Nevertheless, he still pitches in to make the device to get them off planet.
- Dirty Old Man: Vandal Savage takes several female villains to a safe zone and intends to start a utopia with them, breeding and all.
- Deadpan Snarker: Captain Cold and Weather Wizard
Cold (putting Abra Kadabra's arm in a splint): That should hold until we find a hospital.
Wizard: I suppose the nearest is a few billion lightyears away.
Cold: Sarcasm noted, you're not helping.
- Death World: The setting is artificially intelligent courtesy of Apokolips.
- Evil vs. Evil: Joker and Luthor get their own camps and are at each others throats. Mirror Master speculates that they represent Chaos and Order respectively.
- Eye Scream: Joker threatens to cut out Neutron's eye and use it as a light bulb after Neutron fires at him.
- Genius Loci: It's alive. The Planet is alive and it's been created as a testing ground for Apokolips troops.
- Hypocrite: Gorilla Grodd mocks Monsieur Mallah's claims that they are similar and derides him as the uplifted pet of a Mad Scientist. Grodd conveniently fails to mention that he was uplifted by an alien Mad Scientist.
- Impaled with Extreme Prejudice: Brutale gets run through by a Parademon surprisingly, he survives despite the high body count, reappearing in later stories.
- Jerkass: The Joker is a pretty big prick, from not wanting to work to killing people for the dumbest reasons (boring him and touching his suit) to knocking Gorilla Grodd off a cliff because he didn't want to share leadership. Luthor lampshades it by saying he does nothing but complain.
- Jerkass Has a Point overlaps with Strawman Has a Point: In-Universe; Iron Cross yells at Giganta and a few women for not working (even derogatorily calling them Fraulein). When they won't work with a Nazi, Mammoth says that Nazi, or no, at least Iron-Cross is helping.
- Kill It with Fire: When Martian Manhunter is revealed, all the villains swarm him, but the "attack" devolves into a confused mess, Deadshot even comments that he can't get a shot off, and Captain Cold saying he can't see the guy. Lex Luthor tells Abra Cadabra to transmit a message telling everyone to clear out, wile fire based villains attack. Heat-wave, Neutron, Tar-pit, Heatmonger, and Deadshot all take him down.
- Killed Off for Real: As a lead in to Final Crisis, DC needed to thin the herd Hellhound was gored, and taken by his team back to camp, only to be ditched by the body doubles so the predators eat him instead. Psimon is beaten to death by the Joker who found him boring. Iron Cross was convinced to grab The Joker, who casually shoots him in the head. Monsieur Mallah dies after trying to forge an alliance with Grodd, Grodd insults him and they fight each other, Grodd gets the upper-hand, and beats Mallah to death using the Brain, causing both to die. Hyena is shot by a Parademon. Solomon Grundy is killed by the Parademons, but he always comes back because of the swamp. Neutron, Plasmus, Heatmonger, Warp, Thunder and Lightning are all used to power the escape device,and are subsequently blown up.
- Mad Scientist: Luthor, Sivanna, Immortus. Luthor even says to Vandal Savage that he knows what he's doing because he got a degree from Mad Scientist School.
- Made of Iron: Gorrilla Grodd gets shot in the chest several times, beaten and then thrown off the cliff. He's back later on, using plants as makeshift bandages, and he's mad.
- Moral Event Horizon: In-universe, with Captain Cold saying that killing The Flash was the worst thing that he, and the rogues, ever did.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Heat-wave panics and chews on his finger when he believes that he's killed Martian Manhunter believe that they'll all get cut up by rusty razors. Bane tells him to calm down as he's still alive.
- Reverse Mole: Blackbuster is really the Martian Manhunter in disguise.
- Rousing Speech: Luthor makes one to the assembled villains, to rally them behind him.
- Shoot the Dog: To save her own skin Catwoman Outs Martian Manhunter as being in disguise. Reasoning that he's super-powered and probably can last longer than she could against the angry villains. While he does put up a good fight, the fire villains take him down painfully. They also accidentally leave him there which caused a series of events which led to his death at the hands of Libra. Nice one Catwoman.
- Shout-Out: To Gilligan's Island when Lex Luthor is asked how he's going to make a teleporter, "With sticks and coconuts?"
- Soft Glass: Averted When Grodd beats Mallah with the Brains dome, with enough force to shatter it, The blows still kill him.
- Token Good Teammate: Thunder and Lightning, they try to be more civil, and tell people to stop blaming Catwoman for their troubles. Lampshaded when Bane says that they don't have a long enough rap sheet for this place. They also try to give food to a captured Martian Manhunter.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behavior: Kid Karnevil always talks about cutting the Joker's skin off and wearing it.
- Villainous Friendship: Much of the conflict of the story comes from the villains getting fed up and taking their aggrsssion out on eachother. The Rogues seem to be the only ones who are friends (Even if the threaten each other with death over who caused the aforementioned Moral Event Horizon). Working together to survive.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: In-universe Captain Cold regards Grundy's death this way. Saying that they may have spoken only two sentences to each other.