Comic Book: Mingamanga
aka: Minga Manga
Mingamanga is a German... no, just to specify this, Bavarian comic written by Robert Platzgummer. It's about four boys living in Munich, occasionally fighting, but finally sticking together and having fun. Some of their adventures were published in the comic magazine Comicaze from Munich, also known for Captn Crazy.Visit their webpage here.
This comic provides examples of:
- Asian and Nerdy: Subverted, Vinnie is Vietnamese but otherwise not at all like that cliche.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: Korbinian ("Bini") is a Heavy Metal fan and has the hair. Also, the teacher mistakes "Korbinian" for "Korbinia".
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Just half of it. The comic is set in Munich ("Minga" in Bavarian), but it's not manga-like at all.
- Five-Token Band: One Bavarian from the countryside, one Turk, one black African, and one Vietnamese.
- Hair-Trigger Temper: Staffie
- Mistaken Nationality: On Korbinian's first day in school, the teacher mistakes him not only for a girl, but a Pole. Reasons: His last name Panikowski (because of a great-grandfather who was a soldier from Prussia who stayed in Bavaria), his thick dialect which renders his home village Kleinbierbach to "Kloabirboch", which is mistaken for "Globirbow", which sounds Polish indeed.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Their real names are Korbinian, Mustafa, Vinh Ngoc and Daniel. They're almost always called Bini, Staffie, Vinnie and Bo.
- Unfortunate Names: Mustafa's last name is Süzer, which sounds much like "Süßer" (sweetie).
- The Unintelligible: Bini, despite being the only native German of the four boys. Mustafa lampshades it: "And they tell me I have to learn German!"
- Visual Pun: "Kruzifix!"