Life With Archie: The Married Life
is an ongoing storyline in Archie Comics
. It was launched in its own series in September 2010.
Following on the heels of the Archie Marries Veronica/Betty
storylines, the series follows Archie's life post-marriage. Each issue contains one comic set in the timeline in which Archie married Veronica, and one set in the timeline in which he married Betty.
The comics differ from the norm in several ways, being printed in magazine format and having Darker and Edgier
storylines, with Soap Opera
plot twists and situations. The series will come to an end in issue #37 with the death of Archie in both Veronica and Betty universes
and the fallout from it.
Not to be confused with Afterlife With Archie
, which is a zombie apocalypse comic.
This comic contains examples of:
- Alternate Continuity: Not only do the two stories display different futures, but Archie Loves Betty sometimes differs from Archie Marries Betty. Most noticeably, Miss Grundy in Archie Loves Betty dies without seeing Archie and Betty become teachers.
- Alternate Universe: Dilton apparently keeps track of them.
- Badass Beard: Dilton.
- Beta Couple:
- Moose and his blind yoga instructor, Ilana.
- Mr. Weatherbee and Miss Grundy in the Archie Loves Betty stories, until Miss Grundy dies.
- Jughead and Midge.
- Or Jughead and Big Ethel.
- Big Applesauce: Archie and Betty spend some time living in New York City.
- Break the Cutie: Betty undergoes a serious depression after Archie picks Veronica over her. Not even dating Richie Cunningham or Troy Bolton lifts her out of it.
- Break the Haughty: Veronica undergoes a serious depression after Archie picks Betty over her. It becomes so severe, Mr. Lodge tries bribing Archie to leave Betty for Veronica.
- Cheryl Blossom is stuck waiting tables. Until she has breast cancer and has to come back to Riverdale.
- Continuity Porn: Ambrose shows up and discusses the Little Archie stories with Archie. Little Jinx also appears.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Mr. Lodge. Sabotaging Archie's marriage to Veronica in one universe and destroying Archie's musical career in revenge for breaking Veronica's heart in the other.
- Cute Clumsy Girl: Sophie "Soapy" Waters, one of the new students at Riverdale High.
- Darker and Edgier: In the first issue alone, Moose and Midge break up in order to avoid further Domestic Abuse, Miss Grundy contracts a fatal disease, and the Betty of the Archie Marries Veronica timeline has lost the will to live (as did the Veronica of the Archie Marries Betty timeline).
- Downer Ending: Archie dies in issue #36
- Earn Your Happy Ending: While the Archie Gets Married storylines resolve to Babies Ever After endings pretty quickly, the Life With Archie series is suggesting that there will be a lot of work to get there.
- Eyes Always Shut: Jughead, of course, but Ilana is also drawn like this.
- Fake-Out Opening: After Reggie is wrongfully arrested for fraud, extortion and bribery in issue #6, issue #7 opens with him behind bars and ranting about how the "lousy coppers" will never get him to talk. Turns out he's not actually in prison, just re-enacting his "prison routines" for Jughead, who points out that "I don't think the three hours you spent sitting on a bench in the Riverdale police station count as hard time, Reg."
- Fourth Wall Observer: Dilton.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: Mr. Lodge, due to the multiverse.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Archie, we hardly knew thee.
- Mood Whiplash: Presented itself as a tween magazine with light-hearted articles that didn't sit well with the darker and edgier content of the stories. Eventually such content was dropped.
- Multiverse: Confirmed as of ish 18.
- Pair the Spares: Reggie with whichever girl Archie doesn't pick.
- Previously On
- Sand in My Eyes: Jughead, when Veronica goes missing.
- Shout-Out: After Archie marries Veronica, Betty dates a lot of guys who, in her own words, have been "Archie all over again." She name-drops Henry Aldrich, Andy Hardy, Richie Cunningham, Zack Morris and Troy Bolton.
- Soap Opera Disease: Leads to the death of Miss Grundy.
- Spiritual Successor: A melodramatic comic titled Life with Archie also ran during the 1960s and '70s, but took place while Archie and his friends were still high schoolers.
- Supreme Chef: Jughead turns out to be as good at making burgers as he is at eating them, which is really saying something.
- Take a Third Option: So, is Archie going to end up with Betty or Veronica? Turns out, either one is canon.
- Took a Level in Kindness: Although he remains a bit edgy, Reggie is essentially a very nice guy in both stories.
- Unlucky Everydude: Archie in both scenarios, and, surprisingly, Reggie.
- Wham Episode: Issues 10 and 18. And #36.
- Who Would Want to Watch Us?: Chuck and Nancy make a comic based on their adventures at Riverdale High (named "Smalltown High" in one continuity and "Smalltown Kidz" in the other). In a slight subversion of the trope, everyone thinks it's a great idea and the comic becomes a success.
- Played somewhat straighter when Reggie gets the idea of a reality show with him and Betty, and Betty asks who'd be interested in watching them.
- You Don't Look Like You: Ilana looks nothing like she did in her first appearance in Archie #605 — there she had black hair and angular features and wore Cool Shades to illustrate her blindness, while in this series, she has brown hair, softer and rounder features, and is always drawn with Jughead-style Eyes Always Shut.