Jessica Jones is a Marvel Comics
superheroine, originally created by Brian Michael Bendis
. She was the main character of Alias
(November 2001, also written by Bendis) which was the first comic released under the R-Rated
MAX imprint, which notably had the word "FUCK!" on the first page.
Jessica Jones was known as Jessica Campbell as a teenager, and lived in Forest Hills, New York, where she attended Midtown High, where a certain wall-crawling hero
also attended at the same time. On a family drive one day, her father lost control of the vehicle and collided with a military convoy carrying radioactive material. Her entire family (father, mother, and little brother) were killed and she ended up in a coma. When she awoke, she was adopted by the Jones family and she soon discovered she had superpowers.
She soon put on a costume and created a heroic identity: Jewel. She had a pretty low-key career and was somewhat known to the New York superheroes, especially Ms. Marvel
, until she encountered the Purple Man
, who seized control of her mind for eight months and subjected her to psychological abuse. He sent her to The Avengers
' Mansion in order to kill Daredevil and she attacks the only person wearing red at the mansion: the Scarlet Witch
. Jessica endures a No-Holds-Barred Beatdown
by Iron Man
and The Vision
until Ms. Marvel saves her. Jessica slips back into a coma and is brought out only by psychic therapy by Jean Grey
. Soon after therapy, and after a short stint as a hero named Knightress, Jessica decides to hang up the cape for good.
She goes on to start Alias Investigations, a private detective agency where she soon finds out she cannot outrun her past as a superhero (as it's brought up by almost everyone she meets). In between solving cases and snarking
, she vacillates between romantic feelings for Scott Lang
and for Luke Cage
. By the end of the book, she realizes she's pregnant with Luke Cage's child and the both of them start a romantic relationship.
After Alias, she was a character in The Pulse
(a series focusing on the Daily Bugle), in which she and Luke are a couple and she gives birth to their daughter, Danielle. She later marries Luke Cage in New Avengers
and is a sometimes member of the team, when she's not being a mother. She also played a significant role in the first few arcs of Young Avengers
Tropes pertaining to Jessica Jones include:
- Action Girl: When she wants to be.
- Alliterative Name
- Berserk Button: Bringing up the Purple Man incident was a big one in Alias.
- Break the Cutie: One of the more extreme examples in the Marvel Universe.
- Broken Bird: After the incident with the Purple Man, leading her to quit being a superhero.
- Drowning My Sorrows: She drank quite a lot in Alias to mask the emotional pain.
- Expy: She shares a lot of similarities with Bendis's version of Spider-Woman, both with the private detective background, the friendship with Ms. Marvel and the snarky Knight in Sour Armor demeanor. In fact, Alias was originally going to star Jessica Drew, but Bendis could not use her, so Jessica Jones was created instead.
- First-Person Smartass: Her narration in Alias. Spider-Man has a rival to the throne of Marvel's premier Deadpan Snarker.
- Flight: She says she can't fly very well.
- Flying Brick
- Happily Married
- Hot Mom
- Lady Swears-a-lot: She curses very frequently in Alias. She was cursing even as a teenager, and even after she moved beyond MAX's mature imprint and onto the G-Teen rated comics, she kept it up, sometimes being covered up by Symbol Swearing.
- Love Triangle: In Alias, she was caught in between Ant-Man and Luke Cage. She also had a interest in Matt Murdock.
- Mama Bear: Do not mess with her daughter.
- Mind Rape: Woo boy. The extent of the Purple Man's mental torture was so severe, she couldn't tell whether or not she was doing things with her own will or his.
- Nigh Invulnerability: Jessica can withstand strong attacks, and it probably saved her life after she was beaten by The Vision.
- Pregnant Badass: During The Pulse. She beats the daylights out of Norman Osborn for a while after she thinks he caused a miscarriage.
- Remember the New Guy: She was retconned into Marvel continuity as a Midtown High student who had a crush on Peter Parker (she was even there when he was bitten by the spider). From there, she was supposedly a minor superhero known by Carol Danvers since The Bronze Age of Comic Books. Jessica's Anti-Hero stint as Knightress before she started Alias investigations was also retconned into The Pulse.
- School Newspaper Newshound: Her Ultimate Marvel universe counterpart, who also attends school with Peter Parker.
- The Snark Knight: Not just a Deadpan Snarker, but she had some serious self-esteem issues before finally working on them at the end of Alias.
- Super Strength
- Tsundere: Through and through.
- Where Da White Women At?: Jessica says to her daughter that being the product of an interracial relationship and two superheroes is enough to make her life hard. Her husband, Luke Cage, got called out by this by the new Power Man.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: As part of her Jewel costume, she dyed her hair purple.