Comic Book: Gentleman Ghost
Gentleman Ghost is a DC Comics character and supervillain. His real name is James "Jim" Craddock. He grew up 1800's England, his family was poor, and he turned to robbery to support himself. He became an immigrant to the USA, got falsely accused of a violent crime there, and was killed by a masked cowboy named Nighthawk. He became a ghost and discovered that he could only move on when his murderer moved on to the next plane of existence. Unfortunately for him, it turns out that Nighthawk is one of many incarnations of ancient Egyptian royalty, meaning that both their souls have no chance of moving on. When Nighthawk was reincarnated into Hawkman, Craddock tried to kill him without success. In response, Craddock took on the name of "Gentleman Ghost" and took to antagonizing other superheroes as a way to pass the time.
This comic book character provides examples of:
- Anti-Villain: He tends to help out the heroes occasionally.
- Affably Evil: He is very polite towards his allies, and his enemies too if he isn't fighting them at that moment. He is so sociable that was even invited to Captain Cold's amnesty party despite not being a Flash rogue.
- Arch-Enemy: To Hawkman, for grievances going back to the 1800s.
- Gentleman Thief: Subverted Trope. The Gentleman Ghost may put on airs at times, but he's a highwayman through and through.
- Gonk: What he really looks like when he's not using Invisibility.
- The Gunslinger: Sometimes he's shown using ghostly flintlock pistols.
- High-Class Glass
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: In his first appearances, it was ambiguous whether or not if he's actually a ghost.
- Our Ghosts Are Different
- Put on a Bus: Pre-Hawkworld, he was finally be able to rest in peace along with a restless spirit of a woman. This was rendered out-of-continuity.
- Rogues-Gallery Transplant: He briefly became a Batman foe during the late 1970s.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Hawkman's Nth Metal can negate the Gentleman Ghost's intangibility.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: Part of his grief is that he can't pass on to the afterlife.