is an independently published
graphic novel series. Currently, only one volume has been released. Classified partially as Alternate History
, as the series takes place in a renamed and fictional version of Tuscaloosa, Alabama. The series follows Designated Hero
Hunter Hastings, a journalist who has returned to his home town after dropping out of his graduate program in Austin, Texas under mysterious circumstances.
- Beta Couple: While they do experience a few problems in their relationship, Hunter's homosexual brother Mike and his partner Dusty are the most consistent couple to last through the series. Other couples don't last very long during the run of the series (although some, such as Hunter and Misa's first relationship went on for up to three years in the backstory), but they are more important to the immediate narrative. Mike and Dusty serve as a consistent backbone.
- Christmas Episode: Subverted, as the Christmas holiday is never mentioned. A three page holiday special for "Gift Giving Day" featured some characters in Christmas related grab, but ultimately, the point of the comic is to joke about the materialism of the holiday.
- Have I Mentioned I Am Sexually Active Today??: Misa Saito (in a female example of this trope) often jokes about sex and is frank in discussions on the subject. Regardless of her bravado however, own sex life is somewhat lacking.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The protagonist Hunter Hastings falls into this trope in the first volume. While his ulterior motives are meant only to self-aggrandize himself, his actions serve to improve the safety and sanity of his community as a whole.
- Mushroom Samba: Hunter experiences a mild hallucinogenic episode after drinking a dangerous amount of alcohol directly after it is implied that he smoked marijuana. This was done deliberately so that he would not recall an unpleasant experience.
- Myth Arc: Hunter's past and contact with Jenean Walker constitutes the Myth Arc of Druid City.
- Political Correctness Gone Mad: Becky Fink and Carla Cortez are part of a group dedicated to renaming the medical term Asperger's Syndrome. The group is named "Stop Making Fun of the Term Aspergerís. Itís AsinineĒ.
- Running Gag
- Jack Thorn is seen working a different menial job every time he appears. In addition, the acronym of each of these establishments is the same acronym for a hate group. For example: Sub Shack = SS. Ned's Amazing Zapateria Incorporated = NAZI.
- Misa Saito often appears out of nowhere, unannounced. This is usually accompanied by her moving as a collection of speed lines, more than likely illustrating how much of a stunning effect her appearance has on Hunter.